Heavy

RFCDrum

So yesterday I moved my friends machine to Upper Saddle River NJ. He is a landscaper also and I do some work with him from time to time.Anyway his JCB 214 was going on 10 years old and the trans was going so he had to invest if he wants to keep doing the work he does. I figured I take a pic as in another week the machine will look like a piece of shit as he and his men are hard on equipment. Oh this John Deere is heavy! I think heavier than the JCB,

Cheers, Rob

post-8724-0-94921600-1371848128_thumb.jp

post-8724-0-63283100-1371848169_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Those 310SK/SJ's are heavy, they have plenty of power too, we have several 310SJ's at work, (35 i think) ours are 2010 models and have hydraulic thumbs on the rear and a clam shell front bucket on a quick attatch they are 19,100 supposedly. One thing about em if you grab something with them its coming to you, your not gonna slide to it like with a 580 Case. I like the 410 Deere a little better because of the wider stance and extra weight its not much but its probably another 600-800lbs it feels more stable but the power is really close on the 310S or the 410, gotta love the Deere pilot controls too, the only ones better is CAT.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

He had a choice between Cat and this. The Cat was $13,000.00 more. John Deere gave him $22,000.00 for the JCB. They knocked $1,200.00 off for the front bucket because it was slightly used. It has all the bells and whistles and pilot controls for the hoe. It's heavy though and his Spanish operator is a good production man but a freakin animal. He destroys everything. These big machines suck when you are trying to get in a backyard. The 410 and this machine are very close so he stuck with this and at $100,000.00 I think it will work. I hope it's got a switch on it to change the pattern as I am a douche bag with John Deere controls. I might run it once in a while if I need it. It's also got the quick connect front and he got two buckets for the hoe.

Cheers, Rob

Yeah if its a pilot control machine there is a switch on the side panel to go from wobble stick pattern to excavator pattern, I leave em on excavator I suck with a wobble. The pilot controls on the JD are veryu good and smooth, the CAT is about the same but the pilot controls arent as good on the CASE. The 310SJ?SK actually have a higher rating on breakout force on the rear than the 410 even though the 410 has higher hp and more weight. Big difference in the JD machines is the Hyd pumps, the 310J has a gear pump 28gpm, the 310SJ has a gear pump with a secondary stage that increases the flow to 36gpm when the rear is working but it stays on the 28 single stage for the front, the 410 has a variable piston pump that is higher quality and is single stage @43gpm i think, the 710 has a huge piston pump and makes like 56gpm. I wish them well if you jerk and snatch with that back boom something will break its just too strong but with pilot controls you can be extremely smooth and precise for a backhoe, I have a 2010 SJ Im gonna have to swap the pump on soon, its got around 4500hrs on it and its losing power on the low end up front, it wont idle the front bucket up you jhave to give it throttle to lift it, the back being piggybacked for extra flow is still working ok.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

That's why he didn't buy the 410. The 310 was the better choice. I don't even want to see it tomorrow. I was in Saratoga at SPAC for the RUSH concert so I was away for two days. His Mexican operator is a good production man. If you tell him to build that wall or dig that trench 1/2 mile he'll get it done but finesse is not his strong point. They are digging against a large commercial building down to the footing drains to redo the drainage and it's against a hill so I will see what damage tomorrow he has done. I do dig the beefiness of the backhoe.

Cheers, Rob

Sounds like a RailRoad operator, finesse is not required reading for them. I would still go with the 410 just for the added front bucket size and lift capacity, the rear stick is 6" shorter on the SK than the 410 so you get more reach with the 410 and the breakout force is so close its negligable but the price tag scares some guys off, I think its about $10-20,000 more to go to the 410k from the 310SK depending on options. Of course I would think real long and hard about getting an extenda hoe too now that I ahve to work on em, they are nice to use but a pain to fix and when you get stretched way out g=with the 310Sk and the 410K you can actually damage the outer stick just trying to work it the hydraulics are so strong. I think my ideal Backhoe would be a 410K 4x4, QD front bucket, pilot controls, with a standard stick no extendahoe, that or a CAT430 spec'ed the same way. notice I didnt say cab and A/C, thats more crap to fix and more money to spend when the glass breaks. I wont say they arent nice but have only really wanted that cab about three or four times when it was really dusty or raining other than that I open the windows and turn the A/C off of course I learned on some old Case open cab 580E and 580 Super K's, mostly two wheel drive, the first 4x4 was the best thing I have ever seen I was in love, it was a Case 590 Super L 4x4, open cab but had extendahoe, it was top of the line then.

I'm not a big fan of cabs either. On an excavator yes on a backhoe eh. Nice for the winter though as we all know there is nothing colder than sitting on a machine with the wind howling. I was brought up on open cabs so maybe I'm a glutton for punishment. Cost did come into play between the 410 to 310. I like the 590 Case. It has an heavier ass end than the 580. I have to move my friends 580 tomorrow to New Windsor NY. I'm going to get my 63 up and running. I just have to service it and put the points kit in her. I would really like to fix the valve body for the hoe. It sinks down and it's in there not the cylinders.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not a big fan of cabs either. On an excavator yes on a backhoe eh. Nice for the winter though as we all know there is nothing colder than sitting on a machine with the wind howling. I was brought up on open cabs so maybe I'm a glutton for punishment. Cost did come into play between the 410 to 310. I like the 590 Case. It has an heavier ass end than the 580. I have to move my friends 580 tomorrow to New Windsor NY. I'm going to get my 63 up and running. I just have to service it and put the points kit in her. I would really like to fix the valve body for the hoe. It sinks down and it's in there not the cylinders.

what is the year, model and serial and I can price out a rebuildkit for the valve, its just seals and springs, some o rings and some back up seals and your done. Its more of a pain to get off than to rebuild really, worst part is losing the oil cause there is no shut off on any Ive worked on, get a cap and plug ready and try to save some or get a good clean drum and get the machine blocked up high enough to let it drain.

what is the year, model and serial and I can price out a rebuildkit for the valve, its just seals and springs, some o rings and some back up seals and your done. Its more of a pain to get off than to rebuild really, worst part is losing the oil cause there is no shut off on any Ive worked on, get a cap and plug ready and try to save some or get a good clean drum and get the machine blocked up high enough to let it drain.

I;ll have to look when I am up in the yard again.I know my father had a hell of a time with that and Ford said good luck with that 20 odd years ago. It was like the Holy Grail of parts for that backhoe. We set it up with chains to keep it up when you were working the loader but it is pretty bad now with sinking. I'll take some pics of everything too. I would probably drain all the oil anyway as the Fords will get some water in them so every once in a while you drain em out.

Thanks, Rob

• 4 weeks later...

Well not really heavy but heavy on my patience for the aggravation this machine caused me. Moved this tonight for my friend I do work with who also owns the new 310SK. Took it from the Harriman Estate in Harriman NY to Pearson Lakes in Sloatsburg NY. Could be a nice machine but everything gets abused.

Rob

post-8724-0-24212600-1375240763_thumb.jp

post-8724-0-93436500-1375240785_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Looks like you need a daycab R and s 35tn lowboy trailer with all this equipment moving.

Dont complain about them not having anything to move their stuff with it gives you work so its a good thing. Im trying to decide on a trailer to start moving some stuff with the Superliner now, I found a 45' 35tn paver lowboy in Knoxville I may go check out sunday, im either gonna go that route or get a 45-48' drop deck and add a beavertail and ramps.

I don't mind moving machines. I hate moving junk and when nothing works right. I'm not in the business of machine moving just for him because I do work with him and my other friend Chet his stuff is very mechanically sound so no worries there. The 10 ton tag was mainly bought for our own stuff and I also have our original 1969 Eager Beaver 9 ton too. I wish the Mack was on the road as there is no effort moving machines with her and it is a fairly short rig. The Inter is a long bastard. That's cool with the paver lowboy as then you can put machines on top of the trailer axles. In Jersey to set up a lowboy is really expensive for the registration and insurance so a lot of excavators in my area got rid of their lowboys and are just having their stuff moved when they need to.

Rob

Yes very heavy and the biggest machine I will move with that trailer. A little heavier than the 214 JCB he had. It'll push you down the road. After moving the 212 JCB in the pic I had to move the 310 back to Upper Saddle River.