figured something out about my wobble issue

hey gang. been tackling this wobble thing for a while now. changed and checked alot of things and last weekend stumbled across this.

the truck is a mack mr688s front load garbage truck. if i drive with the arms fully raised i have a wobble from 40-45 mph after 45 she is fine. this is either empty or loaded.

if i drive with the arms down there is no wobble. the truck drives great. the arms do weigh a ton.

what it feels like is the truck is definately lighter on the front end with the arms up. now the manual says operate highway with arms up.

do you guys think i should get front air installed or will a higher quality front tire do it. i have a new set of hercules 425 65r 22.5 on the front rite now.

the truck feels light on the front end.

thanks

Glad to hear you found something. Know you been chasing this for a while.

I would run with the arms down for a while to see if it really is that simple.

Plus, you have new tires already. When they wear out, then consider others.

WM is now running some reeeeal wides on the front of front loaders.

look like the super singles that are on trailers

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Hercules huh? And you drive it yourself? I won't subject myself to a cheap tire its just not worth it, drivers on the other hand who knows.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

do you think it may be the cheaper tires at fault?? the hercules run around 750.00 each and a goodyear around 850.00.

Go price a set of Michilin floats. when I had Xfe's on the front 1005 a piece. I got yokohamas now. Not happy with them but for the same price or within a few bucks better tire. Had herc's on the back not my doing came with the truck.

do you think it may be the cheaper tires at fault?? the hercules run around 750.00 each and a goodyear around 850.00.

A goodyear is useless unless you true it they are just as bad as the Chinese tires or worse I cant handle a Good Year at all, like Sleepy says price a Michelin, I have a friend that gets great service out of the Yokohomas and another that swears by the Generals. I ran Michelin XZY 425's on my 04 Granite and they were awesome, I got it it had Dumlops and they lasted about 25,000mi I put the Michelins on and got over 60,000 on a tri axle dump truck running on/off road they were the best tires I have tried yet, I ran the General MS520 on the rear they lasted for freakin ever compared to the others I tried too and have a relly still hard shoulder so they are hard to cut, I think they changed the name of them to the Grabber....something but a tire dealer would know. I have several friends that have tried the cheaper tires and all have gone back to name brand tires because they last twice as long and ride better. Hell I have a set of Virgin Toyos on my Superliner and I dont even run it it just sits here to play with, I have some Yokohomas to put on when I wear the Toyos down.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

We run Goodyears on the front of our trucks and they are just fine. We put all new G282s on our tractor 4 yrs ago and they are still good. We get every tire from a Goodyear dealer. All the others sell the unpronounceable name tires that are worn out when you first put them on.

Matt

I have Good Years on my CSX truck thats what they want because of our national account, but all the tires I have gotten on all of the trucks they have given me in the last three years had to be trued to get em to stop bouncing. I had two new G177 I think on my last truck that they balanced on the truck and they still had to go back and true em to get em to smooth out, maybe we get different Good Years in TN, I have a set on my pickup that it had from the factory I have about 20k on em and they need to be balanced again and this will be the fifth time, Michelin LTX M/S on my last few trucks ran SMOOOOTH!

you know what goodyear really means. A good year. Thats about all those pos last if your lucky. Never had any luck with them on my wagon and absolutley refuse to put them anywhere else on the truck or trailer. Going back to the XFE's when I put new steers on. Had some conti's once they aren't bad either.

thanks guys. lots of interesting posts on the tires. well i booked her in for a 3 axle alignment and going get those tires changed out. sounds like the michelins are the way to go.

anyways had her on the road today, just to double check my last findings. with the arms up the truck develops a wobble that starts at 35 and ends at 40mph.

but with the arms down the wobble turns into a hop?

this occurs in gear and coasting.

84superdog stated he gets the tires trued. does that mean balanced??

The tires are put on a tire lathe that actually shaves the tire to make it round. Than the get balanced. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

i never knew that.

anyways i quickly checked my toe in. just using a tape. 92 1/2 on the rear of the front tire and 92 on the front of the front tire. way too much toe in, should only be about 1/8. dont know if this will cause a wobble or not , but still too much.

anyways do i just jack up the front and loosen the 2 tie rods and turn the link rod?

thanks

Go get em trued and use Coun ter Act wheel/tire balancer in the tire then you dont have to have them re balanced as they wear, I started using Equal tire balancer a few years ago and it was great till I started using Counter Act, it doesnt have the same issues with moisture as Equal and it lasts as long as the tire does balancing the whole wheel,tire and hub together as you drive. I didnt trust it till i used it now I use it in everything even my pickup the best thing I have come across since tire truing.

not a fan of equal. Never had alot of luck with it. But thats just me. Got centramatics on all but the steer and trailer axles. Drives plus tag. Seemed to help alot. Just need to order the one for the floats or go to Alvrado and pick them up. Also want to get the Crossfires and fill the tires with Nitrogen.

hey guys how are all of you doing? in response to your tire problem i dont think it is the case of it, My freightliner tri axle dump has another set of new tires after the same type of problem. The first set i put on were to try to fix the bounce and it did nothing, we went over the truck front to back, top to bottom. Someone said they were cheap tires and that was the cause but i had it prior too changing them. So i paid almost 6000 dollars on better tires and it was still there. So with the first set of Chinese tires that i paid 3500 for and had less the 10,000 miles on them i wasn't ready to just throw them away so i put them on my RD tri axle dump and they work fine. I know this may sound stupid or routine but have you checked your brake adjustments? I know alot of guys out who like to run them tight and it can cause a wobble under certain conditions and speeds. The proper adjustment may smooth it out and it doesn't cost anything.

not a fan of equal. Never had alot of luck with it. But thats just me. Got centramatics on all but the steer and trailer axles. Drives plus tag. Seemed to help alot. Just need to order the one for the floats or go to Alvrado and pick them up. Also want to get the Crossfires and fill the tires with Nitrogen.

Don't do the nitrogen, its just not worth it, you can't top off your pressures once you get back on the road.

True or not easily but unless you got a leak they don't seep out like air. Also like the fact of running cooler. If it doesn't pan then if and as they leak I'll top with air. Worse case I blow money on this by trial and error. Just try to make it less error

yes if it 's a standard stroke 24 it is 1 3/4 or less. if it's a standard stroke 30 it is 2 inch or less. so you measure the length of the rod on the chamber when your foot or someone else has their foot on the brake. i like to run my trucks with the 30/30s about 1 1/2 inches to allow plenty of room for expansion when the drums get hot. and it doesn't compromise the safety of the driver.and it is DOT legal. You should check the rears anyway it couldn't hurt. if there is only 1/2inch movement on the rod that may mean it's dragging

True or not easily but unless you got a leak they don't seep out like air. Also like the fact of running cooler. If it doesn't pan then if and as they leak I'll top with air. Worse case I blow money on this by trial and error. Just try to make it less error

Is true!