All for nothing

mike69mackman

Got back from Wisconsin yesterday morning and took my 10 off then headed for laurel md for a pickup and delivery to Philly. Got down to laurel only to find out my load wouldn't be ready till this morning sometime. So I called my boss who called Philly who said were canceling the load. So I drove back home. All that could have been avoided with a simple phone call to my boss saying the load wasn't ready don't send your driver. So a whole evening wasted. Guess what I'm getting paid for my wasted time? Yep you guessed it, a big fat f$$$$$g. 0 . Just my rant! What was supposed to be a simple 8 hour round trip run turned into a cluster&@&@ because of ignorance. Sorry had to vent.

Mike,i feel your pain! that SH*t happens all the time! its like their time is valuable,but OURS is not! I've had to pay a few freight brokers a "personal" visit over the years, to help them find their checkbooks,or the money they promised after I held up my end of the bargain! and they conveniently "forgot" to include in my settlement!..................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Our driver at the shop had a run to deliver one car to Iowa the other to Missouri. I got him two cars for a backload to NJ, one in Chicago and the other in Ohio. Bobby drives nearly 500 miles to pick up the 1936 Cord in the windy city and when he is 20 minutes from the pick up they call to tell me oh we made a mistake. The car was supposed to be delivered to the west coast port, not east coast. They just said sorry and that was going to be it. I ripped the guy a new ass because I could have sent him back a different way to grab a different load I found after if we had enough time to plan. I got them to cover $350 in expenses for the dry run but it took a month for them to cut a check. Real PITA.

So he went empty from Chicago to Ohio, grabbed the Mustang and delivered it in NJ. Basically covering fuel for the drive back and made crap for the whole trip after expenses because of that other dispatchers mistakes. I guess they don't care if the driver just spent 5 days on the road doing 2800 miles to make $400 after everything is paid.

Does anyone else notice this happens more and more now that there are so many brokers trying to take your money for using the phone? These things weren't unheard of in the past but they sure didn't seem to happen nearly as often either.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Well after a very animated talk with the shipper yesterday they agreed to pay fuel plus 26.00 per hour for my time. A little over 100.00 for four hours of wasted time is ok. I guess what tics me off most is if they had called my boss I wouldn't have made the trip and spent the evening with my wife and daughter.

I don't drive for a living but reading about this kind of stuff going on blows my mind. Awful way to treat an employee. Seems to me...

a) your boss should ask for a cancellation charge immediately upon receiving the cancellation notice

b he needs to pay you the driver a percentage of that cancellation charge whether he collects it or not

c) if he doesn't collect it he can write it off his on his tax return as a bad debt

d) he can also write-of what he paid to you the driver.

Seems like the boss must be too lazy to handle that way (or too dumb.) He should talk to his accountant about how to handle cancellations in a way that benefits both him and his drivers.

Just my two cents from afar...

Edited by grayhair

Wishful thinking at best . But my boss did go to bad for me and the company and got me paid for my time and got the company paid for the fuel. That's why I work for them. I assumed I wasn't getting paid at all until the boss called me and told me. I pull food grade tankers and most of our co's we pull for do right by us and vice versa but sometimes one of them will f..k up and when they do its usually a doosy!

Glad the shipper did the right thing. Many carriers charge for a TONU (truck ordered,not used) but collecting the fee is another story. Unfortunately trucking seems to be the exception to rules that are applied in every other industry.

Jim

Good deal. Glad to hear he did what he could for you. I'm gettin old now - been working for 50 years and ready to retire soon. One thing I learned along the way... Only want to work for a boss that "has my back." I take care of business and he has my back. Life is too short to work hard for someone that doesn't stand squarely behind you when you're doing the job to the best of your ability.

• Like 1

Good deal. Glad to hear he did what he could for you. I'm gettin old now - been working for 50 years and ready to retire soon. One thing I learned along the way... Only want to work for a boss that "has my back." I take care of business and he has my back. Life is too short to work hard for someone that doesn't stand squarely behind you when you're doing the job to the best of your ability.

Great statement. That is one reason I am retired....I have too many scars from bosses who had my back "back stabbers". Too many bosses today want you to their back...on your knees and smooching!

Yes Mike, glad you were "reimbursed" but most companies do not put a value on your "time away from home".

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

And they keep crying "Driver Shortage"! TREAT THE PEOPLE WHO MOVE THE FREIGHT,THE WAY YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE TREATED (FAIR)!! There would be no driver shortage then (or much less of one). You guys know where I'm coming from,but THEY don't! My .02 Al

• Like 1

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA