Tip Turbine To Air To Air Cooler

Camelback

I have a 79 R-600 with a tip turbine engine that i would like to change over to air to air. I know i will need a different radiator and change the intake over. I have heard the hood don't fit after doing this , i was wondering if thats true and what will have to be done to make it work ?

I have a 79 R-600 with a tip turbine engine that i would like to change over to air to air. I know i will need a different radiator and change the intake over. I have heard the hood don't fit after doing this , i was wondering if thats true and what will have to be done to make it work ?
Dont know about that but i do know that you will get more power and run cooler on the exhaust with a air/air than a akter cooler. glenn

glenn akers

I have seen this done on an r700 when a e9 was installed the hood had to be modified to except the cooler.

fjh and mackattack i have done a little digging on the net and what i keep coming up with is the hoods are 1" longer and it was the year of 82 that air to air came out and the inch longer hood makes this possible. Looked at a sight selling hoods and it said the old style short hoods fits up to 81 and the new style longer ones fits 82-89. I am just guessing that the air to air radiator and cooler will bolt right in , and then i will have to find me a 82-89 hood to make this work for me.

• 8 years later...

I would like to resurrect this old thread because i would like to do the same thing to my 81 rd.   I have a couple questions.  

What is different about the radiators . Is it just the top tank or is it the core as well? 

Does the longer hood just bolt up or are the brackets different?

Besides the cooler, hood, and radiator is there anything else i need. (i already have a air to air 350 to replace my 237).