Road Ranger Hi-Lo Synchro Needs Replaced

My RTF-915 Road Ranger has started grinding when shifting from hi to lo range. It's fine going into hi. I think I've found the most likely part numbers for the synchro unit, gasket kit, & o-ring kit. I've also downloaded the parts and service manuals from Eaton. These pictures are of a device I've built to attach the auxiliary section of the trans to a floor jack to aid r&r, as well as serve as a work bench. Once I get it apart, hopefully I'll be able to verify part numbers & get it shifting smoothly again.

At a future date, I'll also need to drop the whole box & put in a clutch. When I do that, I think I'll tear the box down & convert it to an overdrive model. But, that's another story...

More pics & updates to follow...

post-11199-0-94247200-1369188283_thumb.j

post-11199-0-90981500-1369188311_thumb.j

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

Yeah, that's what I've been doing, too!

I hope I find everything else in there in okay shape. Don't want to spend a fortune in there. But, it works now...even downshifts smoothly about half the time. So, I'm hoping it's mostly sound.

Anyhow, I'm hoping a complete synchro kit (about $250), a gasket kit (about $35), and an O-ring kit (about $15) will smooth it out.

If the rain'll hold off, I'm going to try and tear into it this evening. We'll see...

A few pics of the aux box on the lifting weasel / work stand...and the errant synchro. Looks like the pin shoulders and hole edges are the culprits. I just hope the 4 generations of "superceded by" part numbers are accurate, 'cause I've ordered the new synchro set based on them!

post-11199-0-22056600-1369436708_thumb.j

post-11199-0-62296500-1369436726_thumb.j

post-11199-0-73330200-1369436745_thumb.j

post-11199-0-14827600-1369436769_thumb.j

Mine picks and chooses when it wants to grind from hi to low, sometimes at 15mph it doesnt do it and then all a sudden going into low at 5-7mph it will. It isnt that often to make me want to do it asap though.

Slow and Steady Wins the Race!

Mine picks and chooses when it wants to grind from hi to low, sometimes at 15mph it doesnt do it and then all a sudden going into low at 5-7mph it will. It isnt that often to make me want to do it asap though.

Mine did it worse when it warmed up. Almost flawless when cold. About 50/50 when warm

I tested it by rolling along at about 20 mph, in neutral, clutch released. Switch back & forth between high & low.

Worked fine going into high, & always ground going into low.

I'm hoping this straightens it out...

The parts used were as follows:

Synchronizer Kit: K-3493 (New Rings and New Sliding Clutch)

O-Ring Kit: K-1447

Gasket Kit: K-2199

This K-3493 (formerly K-2447) synchro kit includes the K-2446 kit (improved rings and new springs), and includes the 20336 sliding clutch. This eliminates the trouble of trying to make sure the hub used matches up to the rings used. The 20336 hub has 13 splines. The other hub (20323) has, I believe, 18 splines. I hink that one was found on heavier transmissions. The 20336 replaces the old 16716, and the 20323 replaces the old 16759. The splines in the new hub continue completely through the bore, whereas the original hub in mine only had partial splines, and was relieved the rest of the way through. The new one, therefore, has much more spline engagement.

I THINK the K-3491 (formerly K-2445) synchro kit MIGHT have fit the old hub, but don't quote me on that. I felt it wasn't worth fooling around with the old hub, considering the difference in the kit prices. Besides, now i have current parts!

The O-ring kit and gasket kit were dirt-cheap, and were actually cheaper then just buying the handful of gaskets and O-rings actually needed. So, that one was a no-brainer!