W-Star Glider

bullhusk

Finally got the rollin Wastern Star glider done!! I took it over to Horwith Trucks last week to have them do some wiring that was not in the cab as should have been for the motor!! All in all though, not many snafu's. The 575 hp Detroit sounds and run's strong M/T I will have pic's on Monday for us and I have a nice load of brick to bring back to PA so I'll see how she run's with 79,000 gross

Ernie DS

• Like 1

Good luck with the new rig. Post some pics for us to see the finished WS.

It's been workin! The M/T wt. on the tractor alu. trailer is about 27000 in change! Not bad for 575 hp, a GD blower and a 13 speed trans. and a 4900 W- Star. So i'm gettin 26 plus tons on for payload! It just goes to show you how much weight there is in those EGR polution motors. I will get you some pictures ASAP, the truck gov. speed is 75 mph @ about 1600 rpm's (4.10 rears 11R 24.5 rubber) 13 OO I think It's .74 the driver said the truck goes over jugtown mt. very very good (I'm not gonna tell ya how fast he said untill I drive It myself)

BULLHUSK

I have a question if ur glider is let say a 2013 and the motor is from 2003 truck do you have to go buy 2013 emissions guide lines and does the truck have a def system.

I my case I used a 1993 Pete as a doner truck, the Pete had a series 60 non EGR motor so I just up graded it with a 14 liter Detroit. Now 2003 is still pre EGR but I know of a few people that have put together many gliders with out doner trucks and used non EGR motors and no DEF just like I did. Freightliner does not make a truck that you can put a non polution motor in any more the last one was the Classic Glider which the discontinued as of 2 years ago, as far as I know the W- Star is the only on on the D-Benz side that gives you that option. One more thing; if you build your Glider and reg it in PA for your first registration you have to have it inspected by the PA MV.

BULLHUSK

• 2 weeks later...

Nice looking truck, gliders are the only way to go now to have new truck with no egr headachs or rebuild an older truck. I am surprised that not many do it anymore,

I agree with Gliders being the answer to our EPA add on crap woes. Up here in Canada, the Government is already talking about closing the loop hole that allows to rebuild into new trucks with Gliders by using pre 2002 EPA emissions. I'm seeing lots of the discontinued Freightliner Argosy cabovers coming up with "rebuilt Series 60 " already installed.

I just towed in another one of my A-Cert's today, a 2007 Classic with less then 500,000 mi, the motor started to knock, driver shut er down and then tried to start it and the motor won't turn. The truck was just serviced last thursday, oil and water were on the money with no codes showing! My guess...these fuc-in junk motors prob broke a rocker and jammed a valve and you know the rest!! I just don't know how a company like Cat can get away with sellin these motors and lettin the cust. holdin the bag?? (bag a shit i might add). Ya know when Detroit had the trouble back in the 80's with the first batch of 92 series, they replaced all the customer motors with the Silver 92's. and people call Detroit's junk?? Yet Cat can do no wrong? If this motor has to come out, I am not gonna fix it, I'm gonna by a W-Star Power Glider and put the trans and rears into it. A Power Glider is a Glider with your choice of reman motor (in my case another nonEGR 575 DD) all I do is give them the ser. # of my truck and they give me a new air ride and I bolt my rears and trans up to it

BULLHUSK