ford l9000 aeromax help

Okay you guys were great with the earlier help let see about this. Its a 94 l9000 half way through any gear it starts to buck and lose power and blows some blueish smoke it feels like lose of boost but I cant seem to find any leaks and there is no boost pressure gauge in the truck.

Replace fuel filters and water separator filter if it has one , if that doesn't do it I would start looking at the injector and or transfer pump . I agree its starving for fuel . The only other guess is a turbo problem. Possibly losing boost? Jt it probably has a cat or cummins motor in it.

It has a cat motor in it im not sure of the miles. I changed the oil and oil filter. I changed one of the fuel filters today the second will be here tomorrow. Changing the one fuel filter made no change I will hope for the best and change the second tomorrow but both appeared fairly new.

In neutral the truck will rev and idle properly. Start driving and about halfway through the gear it starts to breakup and wont rev any higher and you have to upshift to get the rpms down to continue accelerating but it has no power because you cant get into the power curve.

No theres no wires going to it at all. I believe its some type of fuel filter or water separator but im unsure

Could be a heater that uses engine coolant...is one set of hoses connected to the engine block?

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Yea,thats a coolant heated fuel/water seperator.There is a drain on bottom to get rid of the water and crud.Don't open the drain while the engine is running or it will suck the system full of air.Had a few road calls for that.We had these on the early CH Macks.Steve

Yea,thats a coolant heated fuel/water seperator.There is a drain on bottom to get rid of the water and crud.Don't open the drain while the engine is running or it will suck the system full of air.Had a few road calls for that.We had these on the early CH Macks.Steve

Did that once and damn near killed the batteries getting it started. Lesson learned

It is a 275 hp cat motor. I changed that cheap fram filter on top of that separator and it made a big difference. I opened the valve after driving for a bit with the truck off and nothing came out at all nothing no fuel or water. With the two new filters them truck runs much better but I still feel its not running at 100%. According to the dash the truck has 320k on it. Also the tach cuts in and out would this cause a perfomance issue or is it strictly for the driver. Also when it would start to break up the engine warning light would come on is there a way to pull codes out of this truck.

The plate on the motor is a little tough to read but I believe thats what it says. I have the complete vin if that helps. Ill have to mess with the valve and see if I can get it cleared. The truck is a 12 speed 6 wheel short bed