Owner said it had a slight Engine Noise

220cummins

Ok thanks for the info. I'll have to look into getting a new nut or go with the remanned bullgear. 84superdog, do you mean the threads on the hub or the nut itself. Thanks again!

We've rebuilt over 500 Series 50 Transit motors in-house... all bullgear bearings are replaced if gear is being re-used. No info coming from DD so our engineers reversed engineered the spec and came up with a torque of 720 lb/ft for which we use a 4:1 multiplyer... note, it is left hand thread. No failures and many rebuilt more than one time as we do well to get 400,000KM out of a rebuilt city bus engine.

Unfortunately, we have done our last rebuild and are buying complete engines from DD... 30% failure rate in first 3 months, mostly migrating bearings in balance shaft.... I'm still rebuilding the heads but that may end this year. Nobody has any positive comments on Reliabilt quality but Management love the price!!!!! modern business? well, it will keep us well employed doing re-re of components from a box.... and the Series 50 is being replaced by Cummins ISL EGR so we WILL be busy as they only last 160,000KM before they choke on their own soot.

BC Mack

Oh Boy ISL EGR engines, learn up on your egr valves, egr coolers,dpf's,cat's, vg turbos and the sensors that go with it.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Oh Boy ISL EGR engines, learn up on your egr valves, egr coolers,dpf's,cat's, vg turbos and the sensors that go with it.

Already there... we've had them for about 5 years now and they all choke at 160km... we had one go to 200km so we took it out and tore it down, it would have lasted one more trip from the findings... Cummins cannot keep up with Transit reman engines nor new parts.. and we are one of the few Transit agencies doing their own rebuilds as most shops are being closed as being "too expensive"...!!!

EGR Coolers fail constantly, VG turbo's choke with soot... we even bought our own shaker downdraft tables to clean DPF's... we now have a PM to remove intake manifold heater just to clean the crap out. I rebuild the cylinder heads and most of the valves never make a second trip, all the seats are toast.

We got rid of 6V92's and a bulk of the Series 50's under a government initiative to "green" the fleet... the new POS buses smoke more than the two strokes... so, we went and bought 150 Hybrids with a Cummins ISB which idles most of the day and fills the exhaust manifold with oil..!!!

Progress?

BC Mack

We've rebuilt over 500 Series 50 Transit motors in-house... all bullgear bearings are replaced if gear is being re-used. No info coming from DD so our engineers reversed engineered the spec and came up with a torque of 720 lb/ft for which we use a 4:1 multiplyer... note, it is left hand thread. No failures and many rebuilt more than one time as we do well to get 400,000KM out of a rebuilt city bus engine.

Unfortunately, we have done our last rebuild and are buying complete engines from DD... 30% failure rate in first 3 months, mostly migrating bearings in balance shaft.... I'm still rebuilding the heads but that may end this year. Nobody has any positive comments on Reliabilt quality but Management love the price!!!!! modern business? well, it will keep us well employed doing re-re of components from a box.... and the Series 50 is being replaced by Cummins ISL EGR so we WILL be busy as they only last 160,000KM before they choke on their own soot.

BC Mack

That is what I've seen before on the internet approx. 700lbs. thanks for the added info. It seems to me from my own experience of egr motors that they are garbage and only last about 1/3 or 1/2 as long as a non-egr. I've blocked a couple egr coolerson smaller Duramax and Powerstroke 6.0l with good results. On another note I seen their is a company making conversion kits for older 2-stroke detriots that change the cam and timing of the engine to make it compliant with Tier-II EPA regs on gen sets and industrial motors. If only this could be on the EPA2007 commerical use diesels....

That is what I've seen before on the internet approx. 700lbs. thanks for the added info. It seems to me from my own experience of egr motors that they are garbage and only last about 1/3 or 1/2 as long as a non-egr. I've blocked a couple egr coolerson smaller Duramax and Powerstroke 6.0l with good results. On another note I seen their is a company making conversion kits for older 2-stroke detriots that change the cam and timing of the engine to make it compliant with Tier-II EPA regs on gen sets and industrial motors. If only this could be on the EPA2007 commerical use diesels....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTTXKtqKRxc

Don Fairchild of Bakersfield CA is the guru behind this two stroke compliant engine, he's often found on bus/RV forums helping out owners with his 8V71 soft turbo conversion which helps them with higher altitude smoking and low power without the need to re-engine their old bus conversions.

He has stated that there is a very large market for this epa compliant conversion in the marine industry and may be moving down to TX to support the increase in business.... one year you nearly close down and then you have too much to handle!!!!!!

BC Mack

Interesting video. The cam change in effect is adding EGR which, as mentioned, lowers NOx emissions. Mack tried that with the IEGR engine.

If I remember correctly, the last V92 DDEC were "relatively" low emissions.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

• 9 months later...