Allentown, PA Spring Thaw Fire Flea Market

paulromano

Carried about 6000lbs of "Heavy Metal" to Allentown, got to talk trucks with a number of friends that I haven't seen in a while, got beat up on prices by too many people that are watching too many episodes of "Pickers", found out I just missed an Ahrens-Fox apparatus fire extinguisher, met Mike from the BMT list, saw photos of his great fleet, was amazed that there was no interest in two Rostand bells, did my best to lighten the load for the ride home and plan to hit the sack early tonight to get an early start home in the AM. Other vendors told me that they had a good day. Seemed to be more vendors selling fire truck stuff than t-shirts compared to recent years. I brought about ten boxes of fire truck related paper: manuals, brochures, pictures etc. Mixed in was some railroad stuff. A prospective customer dug out the following railroad stuff: six timetables from Western railroads from the 1920's, B&M RR employees timetable from the 20's, and about ten other pieces of good early railroad stuff. Asked me what I could do on the lot, told him "fifty bucks" for all---he rolled his eyes and said he would put it back. I told him I knew what the stuff was and that two of the timetables would fetch that amount by themselves but he wasn't interested......Oh Well. Guess I know why I do fire truck stuff more than railroad. Thanks to all the list members that stopped by.

Paul enjoyed our conversation the other day However due to the flu will not make Allentown this year but am sending firefighters from Dallastown PA to see you Tks Charlie D Roadtrip

Charlie: Thanks, it was a pleasure to speak with you. Would love to see your fleet sometime. Please let me know if I can help you with anything. Thanks!!!

Paul

the fiance and i drove down today for the day as i had to pick up some Mack parts in Allentown anyways. was our first time and was actually a nice show. we have been to the big show in Harrisburg and it gets to be too much and too much of a blue light show. was nice to see all the vintage items there today. we are lookin for a few items for the B model firetruck restoration but wanna get exacts first. would like to find the original style siren, a wooden ladder and an old Motorola radio. just walked thru browsing today tho. i did end up buyin a Jim Beam AC Decanter, FULL tho haha.then drove down the street a few blocks to the Allentown Brew Works. great place to eat and excellent beer.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

I thought the auction items went pretty high, but I'm probably out of touch.

Enjoyed chatting with Paul and numerous other collectors I have met over the years.

I did score a couple of red warning lights that attach to a 7.5V Carpenter light battery. I have only seen one other like them so I'm pretty sure they are rare. Other than that the sale remains a great place to buy items from the volunteer companies that come to sell the items they are cleaning out of the fire houses.

Here is a picture of the other one I saw on Scott Siefert's (extremely nice) B Model.

post-2016-0-92932500-1366632666_thumb.jp

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Paul, Nice meeting you and talking to you. The extingisher is great. A guy named Dave, from Mass, tried to buy it from me when I was leaving. He has Ahrens Fox's. He is the guy who bought the extingisher from Cal.

Nice talking to firemack and FWD.

Carl, I didn't see you there on Sunday. I was looking for you I have a whole box of the red lights that I got from the Bally Fire Company near me. I brought on to Macungie last year and drove over it. I should put them on trucks.

Mike

Mike, Sorry I missed you. Did you get the Mack extinguisher that Paul had? A pretty rough one went for $550.00 at the auction on Saturday.

I paid for the early admission ticket so I bought most of my stuff Saturday night. I left about 10:00 Sunday morning.

I'm thinking those warning lights must be a PA special since they were made there. I got mine working today; someone at the VFD I bought them from apparently thought they were regular warning lights and tried to hard wire them into a truck so I had some "aftermarket" items to remove. Pretty neat with the little flasher built into them. The damn batteries cost way more than the lights though.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!