1976 RL700L questions

I'm looking at buying a 1976 RL700L Mack with a grain box and hoist on it. It is advertised as having the Mack V8 and a 10spd Maxitorque transmission and air ride suspension. 223, 000 miles supposedly inframed 7500 miles 650 hrs. ago

I have owned a 1997 Mack CH613 427E7 13 spd for a few years now and am overall quite happy with the truck, but I don't know much about the V8's. What should a person watch out for on these old dogs? The old man is dead set against the idea of buying any kind of a truck, especially one with a V8 but for the approximately 1500 kms I put on one a year I kind of find it hard to believe that if it seems to be running well that a person could go wrong. The seller is asking $16,000 for it.

I realize that it's an almost 40 year old truck and that it's bound to have an issue or two, but are there any places that I should look at and inquire about specifically?

Thanks!

Marc

biggest issue is parts. Even the later E9 V8 stuff is either very $$$, hard to get. The older V8 parts are always out of stock. you can still get aftermarket but who knows the quality.

Just as heavy steel frames had issues of spreading and cracking....The Alum Frame can be just as much or even more of an issue if it was neglected. look around all the spring hangers,cross members motor mounts etc... where ever steel and Aluminum meet without protection it can erode and become weak. some times they held up great if the truck had alot of oil leaks and was looked after properly. My advice is to really inspect that frame for cracks or patch jobs. Hopefully he has some paperwork on who did the rebuild. ask about the pump as well, some of the V8 fuel pumps cost as much as a complete 6cyl overhaul....no joke...

Trent

The seller sent me some pics and it seems to be in decent overall condition. He said he rebuilt the engine himself when he bought it in 1995 or 96, which definitely raised my eyebrows! I've rebuilt a few engines but I don't think I'd want to tackle a Mack V8 without some professional assistance. However if it was gonna blow up I guess it should have done it by now. How do you guys know it's an aluminum frame? I'm guessing there must be something in the model number that tells you this, wanna enlighten me? Also, did Mack offer an airride system way back then? Most old R series I've ever seen were camelback suspension. This air system sort of looks like one on an '80 Western Star that I used to drive for a construction outfit. If I remember right there was a label behind the air dump control that said it was a Rockwell suspension. Did such a thing ever exist?

Thanks!

Marc

I would not pay $16000 for an RL unless it was very nice. Oxidation on the frame could be a major problem. The cabs can rust very bad. Who knows the condition of the engine now. My father bought a 77 RL712L from California a few years ago. It has a 6 cylinder in it. The asking price was $6000. He paid less than that, but I am not sure how much. It is a good running truck and very solid. There is no rust on the cab and probably never was. There is almost no oxidation on the frame. The tires are bad and mismatched, though and the interior is a little tired. He had to pay $2500 or $3000 to get it to Pennsylvania. So for half the price he had a non-V8 RL. The V8 adds value, but can add a lot of headaches in the future if it is getting worked. Definitely go and look it over very well before you buy it. Pictures can be very deceiving. If you fall in love, buy it. If not, I would look for similar trucks and see how they compare for the price/value. Mike