Storing an E9.

shanes

I've got an old Superliner that I am restoring, basically a back yard complete strip down, so it is going to take a while :)

At the moment I start it every month or so, but have got to the stage where I need to remove the air start and fuel tanks.

Any ideas on the best way to prepare the motor for storage ?

Drain the fluids or leave it wet ?

Turn it over occasionally, or try and set it up to start it out of the frame ?

I've attached the mandatory picture of the last weekends progress :)

post-7716-0-87599500-1363388966_thumb.jp

I've got an old Superliner that I am restoring, basically a back yard complete strip down, so it is going to take a while :)

At the moment I start it every month or so, but have got to the stage where I need to remove the air start and fuel tanks.

Any ideas on the best way to prepare the motor for storage ?

Drain the fluids or leave it wet ?

Turn it over occasionally, or try and set it up to start it out of the frame ?

I've attached the mandatory picture of the last weekends progress :)

Shane, I'm not the guy to ask for your question but just wanted to wish you luck with your project and what I can see of your truck it looks in good shape.

:SMOKIE-LFT: I stored mine for about 5 yrs before putting it in my project. My E9 was competely rebuilt less than 10,000 mi before the accident. I had the oil out of it due to the oilpan being torn off in an accident but there was a good oil and Lucas film on everything. the block I filled with new antifreeze to keep the liner o-rings from drying out. I guess I took a bar and turned it a couple times maybee although it is a bitch to roll an E 9 over with a bar even when in the truck . dumped a bunch of oil and Lucas mixture down through the oil feed lin for a good month before I tryed starting it. I also put oil in the turbo too. Mine was hard to prime the fuel I have a Robert Bosch inline pump, no primer pump like v pumps plus all new fuel lines, but as soon as I turned the starer over I had instant oil pressre like 80 or 90 psi. just took me most of the day to get it started I was working alone too that didn't help either. Depending how long you're going to have it out I would leave the oil in it and fill it up with antifreeze and keep it in a dry place. Good luck with your project.

I would run the engine "one last time" with new oil, filters, fresh Diesel fuel, etc. Note: add a multi-functional fuel additive to the fuel. Then leave the oil in the engine. I agree, fill the coolant system with new correct mixture coolant. Block off any openings (turbo inlet/exhaust, coolant, fuel, etc.). And store in a dry location.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Make sure you seal off all the intake and exhaust ports, prevents moisture and critters for finding homes. Also a good idea to take the tension off of the accessories by loosing the belts. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE