last letter i maxidyne engine number ?

4176mack

Hi folks.

Iv'e been working out the engine I.D number on my 76 F series, ETAB 676 B, not a problem as the information is avalable to make it pretty straight forward to work out what the numbers and letters stand for, but I'm not sure about the last letter in the line up which is the letter 'B', the engine in my truck has got 3 oil filters fitted, could this be it ?, could it mean an E.S.I or E.S.I plus ?.

Any thoughts wll be welcomed.

The last B means a variation/update/modification, on the prevous engine. It is often a horsepower variation. IDSTBC.

I don't think it has a reference to the ESI. ESI plus was three filters and a deep sump pan, ESI was two filters and a standard pan

Hi folks.

Iv'e been working out the engine I.D number on my 76 F series, ETAB 676 B, not a problem as the information is avalable to make it pretty straight forward to work out what the numbers and letters stand for, but I'm not sure about the last letter in the line up which is the letter 'B', the engine in my truck has got 3 oil filters fitted, could this be it ?, could it mean an E.S.I or E.S.I plus ?.

Any thoughts wll be welcomed.

That's not the original engine if the truck is a 76. Mack started that "ETA" type engine model designation around 1979 or 80. Regarding the "B" meaning Dynatard equipped, that "B" right after the ETA would mean that. The "B" suffix at the end

?? I'm not sure.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

That's not the original engine if the truck is a 76. Mack started that "ETA" type engine model designation around 1979 or 80. Regarding the "B" meaning Dynatard equipped, that "B" right after the ETA would mean that. The "B" suffix at the end

?? I'm not sure.

In Australia, we had the ETAZ673 released in the later half of 1975, I beleive it was released in the US before this time. However it was a 673, not a 676, but it was an ETA engine, it was a 320hp.

Yes, the first letter B in the line up does stand for dynatard fitted, but it's the last letter in the line which is another B that I'm not sure about.

Hk trucking, Iv'e heard your opinion expressed before about this not being it's original engine, if it has had a replacement put in then this may have happened in the first few years of it's life ?.

Veeight, it seems that the truck does have an ESI plus motor, and I also understand that the letter B on the end of the engine I.D number stands for a variation from standard or some kind of modification, I'm hoping that the mack agent here can dig up the build sheet from their records that would show what this modification is.

It will be interestng to get the full picture, I'll put any info I dig up on here. Thanks folks

Found out from the guy at Mack over here that the last letter 'B' on the engine number is to signify that the motor was uprated to 306 bhp.

The picture is filling out as more bits of info come to light !.

All the best guys