Any "thunder Pumpkin!" Fans Here?

1958 F.W.D.

Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm a "Waukesha Fan", but I remember that the FD in my hometown had a truck with the 817G, I was a member of that volunteer FD for a while and did maintenance on it.

Sounded sweet.

Sounded more like a Cat diesel engine with a straight exhaust (minus the turbo sound of course).

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Worked at a township maintenance shop 20 years ago that ran 4 Waukesha powered Walter Snow Fighters,and a couple of Waukesha powered Maxim fire trucks.Needless to say,had my fill of them.Most all old 6 cylinder gas engines have that nice bassy rumble,from GMC V-6's to Macks and one of my favorites,the I.H. Red Diamond.The REO 6 cyl never seemed to have that sound.

I've never been around a waukesha engine that would fit under the hood of a truck. Quite a bit larger, yes. I've had two 351 V6 GMC engines, and one 305E V6. I currently have an EN377 Mack, and an RD-401 IH. I agree they have a sound all their own. I particularly like the sound of a flathead engine as it is from a bygone era.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

• 2 weeks later...
Worked at a township maintenance shop 20 years ago that ran 4 Waukesha powered Walter Snow Fighters,and a couple of Waukesha powered Maxim fire trucks.Needless to say,had my fill of them.Most all old 6 cylinder gas engines have that nice bassy rumble,from GMC V-6's to Macks and one of my favorites,the I.H. Red Diamond.The REO 6 cyl never seemed to have that sound.

ROB tHE v-6 gmc's HAVE A NICE SOUND. i HAVE A 1960 wHITE mUSTANG WITH A 386CU.IN fLATHEAD ENGINE IT HAS THE SPLIT EXHAUST MANIfold it makes a nice mellow sound all its own.

• 2 weeks later...