sensors

Are there any sensors on a 2000 RD with a 400E-TECH motor that will cause the red shutdown light to come on and about a minute later the motor to quit, then you can start it up again.Sometimes only the malfunction light stays on and the motot will run great. this situation goes back and forth, Oil pressure is 40 to 60 range, water temp never goes above 180. I have checked all grounds and changed all the power relays in glove box. I also changed speedo sensor,cam timing sensor,ground breaker on firewall, cleaned flywheel sensor, and checked harness. I had a problem with that triangle plug, and i had to cut it off and hooked direct, looked like a resistor in the harness.I hope that will be ok?the colors were green, yellow and black. Not sure on how to read the code with the cruise switch. Does any one know where the breakers are for the EECM, and the VECU, if any. THE fuse is good in the box under hood. Any thoughts would be great.

Is the computer light coming on to or just the red lite? The low water sensor in the top tank will shut it down if low or bad sensor if computer is set to shut down. the red light is usually for low water, high water temperature or low oil pressure. To read code with cruise switch the malfunction lite must be on, turn the cruise off and push the the set button for 2 or 3 seconds and let off, the code will start flashing a 2 digit code with a second break in flash for the second digit. Need to count the code to see what the problem is. 17 is low water or sensor and wire problem, 22 or 23 cant remember for sure is oil pressure, try to get code and post it, If it is idling and the computer is set to idle for a set period of time 2,3,5, minutes the red light will come on without the computer light and the engine will quit, that will have to be changed with hook up to the computer. some people set low minutes in computer so truck dont idle all the time.

Fuses are in the glove box door in front of passenger seat on the dash, the big screwdriver slot. I dont think truck would be running if they were blowed, We did have R model With the VECU located in behind the panel in the passenger side under dash get water in the wire plugins, all the terminal were green and box had water in it, and would randomly quit, had to replace it, they had problem with water leaking in. When mounting it back you can turn it upside down to keep it from getting in it.

Fuses are in the glove box door in front of passenger seat on the dash, the big screwdriver slot. I dont think truck would be running if they were blowed, We did have R model With the VECU located in behind the panel in the passenger side under dash get water in the wire plugins, all the terminal were green and box had water in it, and would randomly quit, had to replace it, they had problem with water leaking in. When mounting it back you can turn it upside down to keep it from getting in it.

thanks for the response, both lights come on but not at the same time. If the computer light comes on the truck will run with no problems.On the other hand when the red light comes on the truck will shut down usually in a few minutes.We owned this truck since new and the computer was never set to shut the truck down when at idle. I have a spare EECU, thinking about trying it, not sure if its any good,came off a motor I bought out of a scrap yard? The V ECU is facing down and the prongs are clean checked that any way of checking the VECU to see if its ok? The truck eill also quit when driving, mostly 1500 and higher.RPM

If both lighst on at the same time, it's the low coolant sensor or just low coolant. The RDs usually have a manual oil pressure guage then an oil pressure sensor for the ECM. Your manual guage can read fine but what matters is what the ECM see's from the oil pressure sensor.

If both lighst on at the same time, it's the low coolant sensor or just low coolant. The RDs usually have a manual oil pressure guage then an oil pressure sensor for the ECM. Your manual guage can read fine but what matters is what the ECM see's from the oil pressure sensor.

Lights are never on at the same time, its either one or the other, will the oil pressure sensor shut it off? Anyone?

• 2 weeks later...