Engine ID?

Bigdogtrucker

I may be off-base here. But, if I am, I'm sure somebody will correct me (with extreme prejudice!).

Yes, there may be a data plate on the side of the pump. But, I have seen these go missing or become faded out and unreadable.

In the attached image, the arrow shows where there may be a number stamped on the accessory drive case. This is the engine model number and serial number.

On this one, (an ENDT-673C - a 250HP Thermodyne), they left off part of the number, and just marked it T 673 C ... and then the serial number. I guess they figured we should already know it is an engine (EN), and that it's a diesel (D)!

See if you have a number there. If so, it will give you a lot of info. For instance, I think a 237 Maxidyne would be an ENDT 675.

But, then again, I could be wrong...

Kent

post-11199-0-48899200-1358532373.jpg

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

If it is a '300' it would be an 'Econodyne', I think it should have a two piece cast aluminium intake manifold and radiator mounted charge air cooler. It's got the old pressed manifold, looks like a '237'

Around the mid 70's Mack shortened the engine ID's to things like T673C, T675. If it is a '300' I think they came out about 1980, it should be an 'EM6 300' or an 'E6 300'

If it is a '300' it would be an 'Econodyne', I think it should have a two piece cast aluminium intake manifold and radiator mounted charge air cooler. It's got the old pressed manifold, looks like a '237' Around the mid 70's Mack shortened the engine ID's to things like T673C, T675. If it is a '300' I think they came out about 1980, it should be an 'EM6 300' or an 'E6 300'

If you do a Google search for "Mack engine identification guide", there will be a link to a thread on this website which explains all the nomenclature. I have that .pdf file saved, if anybody can't find it. in fact, I'll attach it here.

There was, apparently, a different numbering system prior to 1975, an intermediate system from '75 to '80, and another one introduced in '80.

The plain "E" designation started around 1980. That would be E6 for what used to be called Thermodyne and EM6 for what used to be called Maxidyne. And, like you stated, the designation EM6-300 is definitely the easiest to decipher!

Since this truck was reportedly a 1970, then there should be an "old" designation on it, like ENDT-675. They did start dropping off the END part at some point. In fact, mine is a '70 with the original engine (S/N verified off the build sheet), and it has already had the END prefix dropped. So, that started a pretty long time ago.

Oh, and it DOES, indeed, look more like a 237 than anythiing else. Doesn't it?

Kent

Engine Model Designations.pdf

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

It certainly looks like a 237 to me. you might have to take off that steering pump and bracketry to read the engine number. It looks like its only got 2 oil filters and the small coolant filter, the tin intake manifold and the way the turbo is mounted looks to be an early design. It certainly wont be a 300 without some sort of intercooler..

It looks like a 237hp .If i recall the highest horsepower of a non-cooled engine was 250hp.This was later in the seventies ,though.Its an old though late 60s-mid 70s with the steel intake,dual oil filters,head studs(not capscrews) and the what I call a 6BB pump. Heck it might even have a push type clutch.

It looks like a 237hp .If i recall the highest horsepower of a non-cooled engine was 250hp.This was later in the seventies ,though.Its an old though late 60s-mid 70s with the steel intake,dual oil filters,head studs(not capscrews) and the what I call a 6BB pump. Heck it might even have a push type clutch. You talking about that engine brings back alot of old memories
  • Like 1

glenn akers