Lifter replacement

PEE WEE

The only way to replace a lifter on an etech engine is to remove the camshaft. The lifters will have to be supported by magnetic tipped rods slightly longer than the pushtubes. There is a special tool that clips onto the rear of the cam to aid in removal. The cam weighs about 90 lbs with the gear.

Are you replacing the lifter due to damage? Better take a good look at the cam lobe, it could be damaged as well.

• Like 1

Just sum more info the cam keys are not the same on some HP engines Be sure this guy PAYS atention when pressing off the gear and removing the key some are off set majority are straight but you may have a minority engine 460 HP is straight!

• Like 2

If you think the cam is damaged, you can have it reground. I did one in my 94 E-7, reground the cam, reground the lifters, and had to buy one new lifter, saved a boat load of money compared to buy a new cam and all new lifters. Sent them out and had them back in about a week. If you need info on where I got them done, let me know and I will have to look for it.

• Like 1

Live every day like it's your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Staxx i am or was like you untill i found out about a new method of grinding. No heat in this method. Its all in plating the lobs and then polishing or grinding and some i know of has been out two years that i have been around. Now the lifers have the finish reinstalled by a slice of something refused or welded to the face of the lifter . My self if i need a cam and have no more which i will not run out of them i will use these guys.In the past i have seen rewelded cams with bad results but this sounds like a good process to me.

glenn akers

Are you talking about the e7 or etec big differance on cam etec has rollers not saying it couldnt be done just dont know anyone that has had it done to a etec engine cam.
The E7 and the Etec would be a total mistake and i never tought of it cause i have only been two of those before i retired.Both had the dowel pin broken in the block.

glenn akers

• 4 years later...

Seeing how you guys are talking about the cam and Hrings I have a push rod that does not spin it seems to fall into a pit when I try to spin it and only spins half way and stops. Its causing the bridge on the valves to jump off.  Does this sound like the roller, H ring, or Cam?

Trying to see if this is a sign of either one. Am I removing head or just cam.

• 2 years later...
On 12/28/2012 at 11:26 PM, turckster said:

The only way to replace a lifter on an etech engine is to remove the camshaft. The lifters will have to be supported by magnetic tipped rods slightly longer than the pushtubes. There is a special tool that clips onto the rear of the cam to aid in removal. The cam weighs about 90 lbs with the gear.

Are you replacing the lifter due to damage? Better take a good look at the cam lobe, it could be damaged as well.

On 12/28/2012 at 11:26 PM, turckster said:

do you know the name of the magnetic rods to support lifters,  also the name of the tool that clips on to the rear of the cam ? 

27 minutes ago, chad4142 said:

do you know the name of the magnetic rods to support lifters,  also the name of the tool that clips on to the rear of the cam ? 

You need to be specific about what year truck you have on tool questions.

If It's an E-Tech the cam shoe google Mack J 41682.

The hold magnets google J 42425.

19 hours ago, Mack Technician said:

Then my numbers are good.

google “Mack emedia” ...... go to “service information”. The manual is in there, free. Publication 5-106. 

any chance you could call me and help me find that manual ?