Mixing Steer Tires with Drive Tires

TicketMan4u

I'm looking to buy a 1985 R686ST tandem axle dump from a guy I know. He told me he recently replaced some of the tires with some new problems. Problem I see is he mixed steer tires with drive tires on the rear tandem axles.

Now I'm hardly an expert, don't really know nothing. Don't drive'em yet, just buy and sell'em. Seems like to me somewhere in the past somebody told me you wasn't supposed to mix tires. I looked at a couple of other places on line and several said it was okay to mix them, just don't put drive tires on the steer axle. Felt like I needed to here it from you guys also before I could be sure. I mean if I buy the truck I want to know if I'm going to have to spend more money on different tires cause that's going to affect my offer.

I posted some photos of the rear tires for you to look at and give me your opinions. Thanks

post-10091-174575_thumb.jpg

post-10091-61105_thumb.jpg

post-10091-882054_thumb.jpg

post-10091-561195_thumb.jpg

Edited by TicketMan4u

I don't thank it will hurt anything, as long as the drive tires aren't recaps and the stears are of course not, usally a recap will be a bit taller. But like the other guy said it will hurt you when you go to sell it, not something i would do, if it were me i would at least try to find some deccent used drives for it.

Yep, anything to make it roll was my impression. Thanks guys, that's gonna help me alot in making my decision. Now I know I "could" use the tires if I "had" to. Problem is, I don't want to. I've got better tires I can use to make it right. Now I know I can use them to get a better price on the truck cause it needs some work.

post-10091-258580_thumb.jpg

Edited by TicketMan4u

As stated above tire height is the issue if one is taller than the one next to it the tall one gets more weight and heats up faster, also you dont want tire height from front to rear axle to be off by much, if the front axle has 40" tall tires and the rear axle has 42" tall tires the rear axle is turning slower and if the power divider is engaged that leads to Broke stuff! One inch in height is a lot in rotational speed, just so ya know!

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I think they're all 11R24.5 tires but I'll be sure and check them to be certain. I've only sold a few trucks but one buyer did want some tires changed before the deal was sealed.

One of my major concerns was looking ignorant by offering a truck for sale with mismatched tires if running them that way was a no no. I think the seller knows less about big trucks than I do and I was just making sure whoever put the tires on for him didn't just put whatever he had available on there and convinced him it was okay.

I agree, buying new tires would be too costly so I've developed a source for used tires. A friend I met selling trucks keeps a trailer load of good used tires stored away in total darkness to protect them from the harmful rays of the sun. Last time I needed tires on some trucks I sold they came at a price of $50/tire installed which was paid by the buyer. If I need tires on a truck, he's the guy I go to.