E7 454 no coolant pressure and running hot

dusty0791

I have a 96 e7 454 it is running hot and there is no coolant pressure when I take the rad cap off doesn't matter weather or not I am pulling a load or empty or even idling still runs in the red. The bottom rad hose is ice cold and the top Luke warm anyone have a answer for me it would be appreceated

I just got the truck this weekend it had been sitting for a few months I topped up the antifreeze It was a bit low and it looks really dirty could it be a plugged water filter would this cause no circulation? I drove the truck for 1 load this morning and it worked fine then sitting idling while I was getting loaded is when it started to heat

When the engine is at operating temp (180 deg +) the upper radiator hose should be hot. If not, the thermostat is most likely the problem. If it is and the lower hose is cold the problem is in the radiator. A plugged water filter should not cause overheat problems.

Kinda sounds like a bad thermostat. I would flush the cooling system as well. Check the radiator cap while your at it.

if you can get good hot heat in the cab, with the fan on Hi. that tells me that coolant flow should be working and the water pump is pushing coolant around the cooling system. Does sound like a bad T-stat.... remove it and replace while your in there. and if you want test the old one in a pot of water on the stove. you should see it open up as the water temp is getting hotter. if it does not open,you found where your problem was!

Let us know.

Before you start replaceing parts at randon check heat gauge with temp gun and then check water pump belts to see if they are not slipping. Then install low low pressure guage in the block some were under the thermostat. With engine running at hi idle it should show a pressure of some were abouve 12 psi. If not then your belts are slipping or the impellow is slipping on the water pump.

glenn akers

I would thank if it has no pressure then it is not running hot, if it were running hot it would have lots of pressure from the hot water trying to turn to gas, it is the same as water boilling it does not matter if the pump was turning or not, if it were hot then it would push the water out the radiator cap. The old ch we use somtimes will show hot, but at the same time it will show that it has quit charging, you can hit the dash and the charge hand and the heat hand will almost change places it is like they are crossing some how, the heat hand will go from 3/4 of the way over to half, and the charging hand will go from 1/2 way to 3/4. It could also be the sending unit or the wire, but if it has no pressure i would all most bet it is not hot.

• 4 weeks later...