87 cf mack rearend

bigmoosemack

Looks like Harlan County is cornering the market on "CF" fire engines. That's good; like to see them still in service. I passed through Bristol, VA/TN on I-81 last

year; I didn't realize how close I was to Harlan County. Oh, well, maybe next time I'm down that way (would love to go to NASCAR at Bristol).

bulldogboy

• Like 1

Bristol is only about 90 miles from evarts Harlan county now has 7 cf trucks that I can think of off the top of my head the one that big moose mack and the one that we have are brother trucks they both came from Essex county nj and the one that evarts fire dept has came from schooleys mtn fire dept in nj and they were sold at the same time. to wynn fire in corbin ky

• Like 1

Looks like Harlan County is cornering the market on "CF" fire engines. That's good; like to see them still in service. I passed through Bristol, VA/TN on I-81 last

year; I didn't realize how close I was to Harlan County. Oh, well, maybe next time I'm down that way (would love to go to NASCAR at Bristol).

bulldogboy

Yeah we have 3 with 3 seperate departments. We all make fire calls together so if looks like a mack truck show with water!

Still need to know the final drive of the transmission. You likely have a 300hp diesel with 1:1 final drive. If that's true a 4.17 rear would give you about 62mph at 2300.if that's to slow a 3.87 would give you about 68mph if it's to fast a 5.02 would give you around 55mph and more low end grunt. Some of the other fire truck guys should advise as I just ran dump trucks...

• Like 1

they are from holmesmill leversole they told me today that the truck was speced with a 4.86 I think rear. and it runs about 50/52 mph which is about the same as our cf I can get 55 going down hill lol which is plenty fast enough on our narrow and curvy roads our truck has the 237 and theirs has the 300.

There may be a tag on the differential housing to id the rear end or you can get the factory build sheet from the museum that will specify which rear was original. If you are in a hurry a phone call to the museum may prove fruitful.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Still need to know the final drive of the transmission. You likely have a 300hp diesel with 1:1 final drive. If that's true a 4.17 rear would give you about 62mph at 2300.if that's to slow a 3.87 would give you about 68mph if it's to fast a 5.02 would give you around 55mph and more low end grunt. Some of the other fire truck guys should advise as I just ran dump trucks...

World Wide Equipment ran the VIN on the Mack and came back with a 4.88 Ratio on the rear end.

OK guys thanks for all your help we located a rearend out of another truck and we have it now in our truck filled with oil and done a initial run of it with it still up on blocks no funny noises etc no leakes so not badd for a bunch of rookies huh although i must admit this is alot heavier than regular car parts lol