Overheated Brake- Whats The Fix?

Today after a short run home from the shop I see alot of smoke pouring out of left front brake drum. I haven't got into it yet, but assume brake shoe(s) did not full release, perhaps a return spring broken or air cylindar stuck. Anyway, it it generally ok to rough up the shoes and reuse them or having been heated to smoking- they have to be replaced? Assume replace the faulty cylinder .Any help appreciated many thanks.

Today after a short run home from the shop I see alot of smoke pouring out of left front brake drum. I haven't got into it yet, but assume brake shoe(s) did not full release, perhaps a return spring broken or air cylindar stuck. Anyway, it it generally ok to rough up the shoes and reuse them or having been heated to smoking- they have to be replaced? Assume replace the faulty cylinder .Any help appreciated many thanks.

Sounds like you have a brake that has camed over and you need or i would put new shoes on both front wheels and make sure your drums are good because i have seen many front drums used that was scored bad and now they have brake problems so to me you dont take short cuts with front brakes. glenn

glenn akers

Dale,

I would check for a sticking cam first. If you have the old iron shoes the cam ramps slide on the wear pads (they don't have rollers). After sitting the wear pads sometime rust or gum up and won't let the cam return. I've reached into the rear drums and sprayed them with a teflon lube. It seems to work good but the fronts you may have to pull the drum becase of full backing plates.

Chuck

Damn! It was the slippery/dry road switch somebody had inadvertantly thrown. I drove it at interstate speed for a few miles with it on. Thats what caused the problem. Descovered that just before taking the wheel off, Ok when everything cooled off.

How would that cause the front brakes to overheat?

With the switch in the dry road position the front brakes work normally, and with the switch in the slippery road position, the air pressure to the front brakes is reduced to avoid locking the front wheels on a slippery road.

I fail to see how

It was the slippery/dry road switch somebody had inadvertantly thrown.
could have caused the front brakes to overheat.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Damn! It was the slippery/dry road switch somebody had inadvertantly thrown. I drove it at interstate speed for a few miles with it on. Thats what caused the problem. Descovered that just before taking the wheel off, Ok when everything cooled off.

That would be a new one on me since that switch reduces or limits air pressure application to the front steer axle brakes when in the slippery selection. When in the dry selection, full reservoir air pressure application is available.

I don't really see how that switch could be the root of your described problem unless someone has possibly plumbed the system incorrectly. If you are absolutely positive that switch is the culprit, I would take it back to the mechanic you paid to install it for repair.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

errr, I plumbed the slippery road switch- although I don't remember the plumbing details. When I flipped it off however, the wheel turned freely. I'll leave the damn thing alone anyway.[

quote name=Rob' date='Sep 17 2007, 06:26 PM' post='14032]

That would be a new one on me since that switch reduces or limits air pressure application to the front steer axle brakes when in the slippery selection. When in the dry selection, full reservoir air pressure application is available.

I don't really see how that switch could be the root of your described problem unless someone has possibly plumbed the system incorrectly. If you are absolutely positive that switch is the culprit, I would take it back to the mechanic you paid to install it for repair.

Rob