Camelback shock mounts

rsb502

I have 44000 camelback suspension on my trucka nd want to add the factory shock mounts, obviously with this new breed of parts guys I need a vin from a truck that has them so I can get the parts for mine. I would appreciate it if anyone who has Mack 44k rear camelback with shocks would let me at their vin to order my parts to add them to my truck, its a little stiff to bobtail to truck shows without em, any bump in the road and away it goes bouncing. I know the upper shock mount is a stud that replaces a trunnion bolt and the lower is a block with a stud or bolt hole(cat remember right now) that welds to the axle near the spring mount. Thanks in advance for any help I can get, Ill take the two or four shock setup either makes it ride soooo much better, ill let you at my vin if my truck has any parts you may be hunting.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I had em on 44, I think they came from 38 Vin they worked just fine, actually they worked great at controlling camelback hop.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Actually I remember Mack had a kit to install shocks on the front drive axle. The lower bracket bolted to the back to pocket rubber bolts and the top one was one of the trunnion bolts

Yep! I jsut cant find the info on it anymore, from the factory you got the lower mount welded to the front axle spring saddle, the kit used two longer bolts for the rear bolts in the saddle, I just need the numbers again.

lol that last comment was funny J! you call up and tell them the last 6 of your vin but then they still need to know what kind of truck and you have to tell them what kind of engine and pump on top of it. and when you stood up and said, where are my meds? lol

Slow and Steady Wins the Race!

I have a set that came with a 38 all rubber cutoff so I can't help with a vin to get things going for you.

These are for the front axle and the shock bracket frame mounts using the body bound bolts that hold the frog legs into the chassis.

The bottom bracket bolts to the lower spring cap at the end of the spring.

All bolts no welding.

I will see if I can get any numbers off either the brackets or the shocks.

I have a very bad attitude when it comes to "what's the last six of your vin?" I can understand if your are talking about an ECM.....

but this is BASIC camelback suspension stuff!!!

Yes, I know there are variations but put a f@*cking exploded diagram showing a couple of set ups with some damn part numbers in a BOOK or microfiche or a computer if you have to.

They did it that way for years.

Standing down for a moment....where are my meds?

Jim

I HEAR YA! Where have all the parts guys gone, I remember when I started trucking I went in and asked for a part not knowing the number and the guy behind the counter said, is it the one with two bolts or three, I said 3 he went back and brought it to me in like 2 minutes then just typed the number in to make a ticket. I think we as a society have become to dependant on computers to do our work for us, go to a store and buy something and give the kid some odd amount to pay for it, they look at it like its calculus,WTF man? I would love to have pics of the shock mounts on your cutoff if you can get em on here I can at least take em and say I WANT THIS! thanks for the reply and no worries about the outburst I do it daily.

Here are the pictures of shocks and mounts off a 38,000 cut off.

The lower left mount was bent and I will have to use the hot wrench sometime to get it back into correct position so the shock can go back on.

Hope it helps.

Jim

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Thats awesome guys, I appreciate it, I actually just found an 85 MH in Nashville with 34000 camelback rears that has it and got the breakdown for it if anyone needs the parts for theirs.

camelback 34k shocks.pdf

did mack ever have front shocks on their mr 688s trucks?

Yes shocks were an option for several years I am pretty sure front shocks are std now but hey crazier things have happened to save a buck.

Here are the pictures of shocks and mounts off a 38,000 cut off.

The lower left mount was bent and I will have to use the hot wrench sometime to get it back into correct position so the shock can go back on.

Hope it helps.

Jim

that is the kit to add them to the truck after assembly I had one of those years ago and I cant find the p/n anywhere but hey maybe I can use those pics and make it if I cant get the other stuff fgured out, thanks for the pics.

Yes shocks were an option for several years I am pretty sure front shocks are std now but hey crazier things have happened to save a buck.

do you know where a guy may find a kit or hardware to mount a set of shocks to the front of my mr688s. my avatar is the truck in question.

thanks

Im pretty sure the lower mount is the spacer under the u bolts on top of the spring and the upper is a frame bolt replaced with a stud, find another MR with shocks on the front and get the VIN then look at the fron susp breakdown should only be 2 studs, 2 lower mounts, possibly two spacers under that, then 6 washers, 8 bushings and 6 nuts. Oh and 2 shocks!