Anyone have an opinion on this transmission I think its a double OD quad box with an aluminum case. True?? If so, how do you think it would hold up behind a 237 Maxidyne? You may recall I've posted before about trying to solve my 6.67 CRD -62 problem as my direct Duplex gives me no road speed.

Instead of finding a gear set for the rear, I'm thinking the transmission swap is a better way to solve the problem.

Appreciate any thoughts.

yea that transmission will work and might get you 65mph as long as u baby it. if you hot rod it they will spin a single disk clutch and if you lug it too much in high gear you could break 5th gear and crack the case. seen a guy blow the whole back half of a triplex apart before behind a 237

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

yea that transmission will work and might get you 65mph as long as u baby it. if you hot rod it they will spin a single disk clutch and if you lug it too much in high gear you could break 5th gear and crack the case. seen a guy blow the whole back half of a triplex apart before behind a 237

I hear you on breaking it-but don't I run the same risk with a Diplex in the back section?

And yes Jim-24" wheels.

Thx guys for your comments. Truck had its 711 replaced with a 237 in '79 by the guy aI bought it from and he used it in his excavating business until I bought it. So the Duplex has done well. My biggest concern with the "L" version of a quad box is the strength of the aluminum case-which as with all aluminum components-it was chosen as a weight savings-at a very premium price- but was engineered to be as durable as the cast versions-I hope!

• 10 years later...

I know this is a very old thread but I have a question.

Could the steel bellhousing from a trq7220 be fitted to a trql7220? this would be behind a 237 with a double disk push type clutch. 

it appears the biggest stress on the aluminum bellhousing was the weight of the trans with no rear support?