Semi Truck Pull

a few shots from yesterday

truckpull0001.jpg

truckpull0006.jpg

truckpull0005.jpg

truckpull0003.jpg

HI Trent, hope you had a good time. Had it been next weekend I would have showed up.

Your last picture looks as if you are missing a chunk of frame just back from the driver's rear tire. If that is so; I've never seen something like that before.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Silly question for anyone to answer....?

I'm very familiar with tractor pulling "farm stock" I used to pull a Massey ferguson 1100, 1130, 2775 and a 275. We had weight bracket all over the tractor (the 1100 was our baby), and could shift weights according to how we read the track.

however I've never been to a semi pull other than seeing one on espn. How is the sled hooked to the semi? and what suspension works best with pulling. What modifications for stock classes are you allowed to use if any. I have an 84 superliner with a 440 e-9/12speed mack trans/neway air suspension in it that I bought just for restoration/pulling purposes. any suggestions or advice would be great.

post-1247-1185717145.jpg

Brad thats a retired Tanzillo truck #5 That PJ his brother Anthony and I are building for fun and a few laughs.

Mr Tanzillo was trying to sell it but he had no buyers for it all last year. So he gave it to us to mess with

We tinkerd with a diffrent turbo before the pull but we think it was to big for the little 237 to spin as all it would do is 7 psi. The local mack mechanic turned it way up but still wouldent get the turbo awake. We put a 350 turbo on it from a truck in the yard tonight and it was making 20 psi so we might take it to belvedere (sp?) this thursday for a pull.

Were not shure what a stock 237 turbo makes for boost anyone have a clue??

My truck pulled to 220 feet. spun the wheels all the way down the damp track. when the weight came up I stopped but the wheels kept spinning, tried to pull out of the hole in 4th low but the clutch said no so went back to 3rd low

"Last call" pulled to 206.66 feet ..... slow out of the gate it started to wake up about 100' mark but the turbo dident want to get up. it powered out in 2nd direct

Both trucks have a 6 speed an 4.17 rears.

Maxville

Trucks with springs get the traction but the air ride trucks can do just as well if they mess with the ride hight valves to over inflate them. There is a guy with 2 E9 superliners with lots of engine work that makes it to 290'+ almost every pull. The hitch is connected to the 5th wheel as seen in the pics. the hitch is 30" off the ground (adjusted) and the chains go to the bottom most part of the sled. Im not shure how much weight is transfered to the tandems when the weight is up?A friend has a 400hpE7 and a 12 speed he does pretty good as he has better gear selection than my 6 speed.Your E9 is a powere house just bring it to a pull stock to get a base line run, then if your not happy start spending mony on injectors and pump work, turbos etc... pick a gear that will get you to about 15-20 MPH if your cluth can handel it. dont pick to low of a gear as you will snap something alot easyer. Just talk to the other guys at te track. if like the guys i pull with they will help you.

trent

Trent, I hope guys come out to Belvidere. We will be there with a 73' R model. We put a turbo off of a 300 on it. We have to get the pump tweaked and we are working on an intercooler, but at this point we are not having much luck. The pulls in Belvidere will be on august 9 at the Boone county fairgrounds. You will want to be there around 6 at the latest and you may not pull till 9 or 10. Hope to see you guys there. Brad

nice pics trent how did ya come out on your pull ?

later

:mack1:

My old RS did as I expected. It Dident pull great as far as who got 1st position vs last but I was happy as I was not far behind where the 300-400HP club finished. I have the fuel bumped up a little but I dont want to tear it up as the truck is a source of income and a hobby. We were hoping that "Last call" (the R685ST) would pull further than me as we had a big turbo hanging off the side of the engine and the local mack mechanic turn it up before the event. it came up 10 feet short of me wich isnot to bad considering it was pretty much an all stock 237. I think this turbo we put on is either to big to build boost or it was setup to run low boost on a larger engine? All we could get the big turbo to push was 10 psi and it sounded like it was working hard just not creating anymore boost?

So we put a 350HP mack turbo on it last weekend and we now get 20 PSI. We will pull again next thursday and see if we made any progress. I put in a call to a local pump shop to see if we cant build up a spare 300HP pump and have some trick injectors made for the engine. if its not to much $$$ we may have some more tinkering to do

another few truck pulls

Boone county IL on thursday aug 9th 630 PM http://www.boonecountyfair.com/events.htm

Wilmot WI for the kenosha county fair sat aug 18 http://www.kenoshacofair.com/activity.htm

they bring loaded (pea gravel) cement mixers to this event and try to keep driveshafts in one pice. 6x6 and 4x6 set ups. some good carnage

trent

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting those videos Trent. It really sucks that we got rained out last night. I did call up there about 1:00 that afternoon and the l;ady said they had no intentions of canceling, but when she called me back they were in the middle of a thunderstorm. I will keep my ears open about some more pulls. Watching the video really makes me want to get back out there with those trucks. The BIG rumor around here is that we stuffed a V-8 into that truck, mainly because no one can believe that a 237 did that. Brad

Thanks for posting those videos Trent. It really sucks that we got rained out last night. I did call up there about 1:00 that afternoon and the l;ady said they had no intentions of canceling, but when she called me back they were in the middle of a thunderstorm. I will keep my ears open about some more pulls. Watching the video really makes me want to get back out there with those trucks. The BIG rumor around here is that we stuffed a V-8 into that truck, mainly because no one can believe that a 237 did that. Brad

HA HA! thats funny!!! a little 237 pulling like a big v8.. just tell who ever asks that its a 673!!!

or just put some v8 emplems on the hood and dont talk about it. Ya we were bummed out a bit about the canceled pull but it would have been a mudslide if they kept going. I told PJ that I was not going to pull with the RS as it would have been a wet repete just like lake County was. If you hear of a pull let us know

Trent

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Silly question for anyone to answer....?

I'm very familiar with tractor pulling "farm stock" I used to pull a Massey ferguson 1100, 1130, 2775 and a 275. We had weight bracket all over the tractor (the 1100 was our baby), and could shift weights according to how we read the track.

however I've never been to a semi pull other than seeing one on espn. How is the sled hooked to the semi? and what suspension works best with pulling. What modifications for stock classes are you allowed to use if any. I have an 84 superliner with a 440 e-9/12speed mack trans/neway air suspension in it that I bought just for restoration/pulling purposes. any suggestions or advice would be great.

Hello, try lowering the air bags when pulling, have done this when get bogged in mud, it puts power to the ground more evenly.

Grant