Engine Information Needed

Mr. Bill

I have a 1968 R685T truck. I am trying to identify the engine. I has a casting number of 239GB5320 A. So far I believe this number converts to a 673-711 model engine. From here, I know nothing about the engine cubic inch, torque and etc. It does have a turbo charger.

Can anyone fill me in on the particulars of this engine and if it was available in 1968?

I have a 1968 R685T truck. I am trying to identify the engine. I has a casting number of 239GB5320 A. So far I believe this number converts to a 673-711 model engine. From here, I know nothing about the engine cubic inch, torque and etc. It does have a turbo charger.

Can anyone fill me in on the particulars of this engine and if it was available in 1968?

To id the model look for a number that starts with a END on the block casting on right front that the injection pump is bolted to at the round part at the top.It will not be a cast number but a stamp number and if out of a cag over it could be at rear of engine on block but that would be a old engine. I will look at tat cadt number in the morning and see what is tells me. glenn

glenn akers

An R685T would have originally had an ENDT675 Maxidyne.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

I looked around the injector pump mount on the casting and didn't see anything for numbers. The paint looks like a light enough coat on the casting that a hand stamp should show through. I will remove what paint is there and see if it is there though to make sure.

To id the model look for a number that starts with a END on the block casting on right front that the injection pump is bolted to at the round part at the top.It will not be a cast number but a stamp number and if out of a cab over it could be at rear of engine on block but that would be a old engine.

I looked in this spot but did not find any numbers. I did notice that the cast date on most of the castings were in 1969 so I am thinking this is not the original engine. Are there any other ways to ID the engine short of a teardown?

If you can't find a number on the block in front of the inj. pump on that curved area where the timing case cover bolts on then look at the tops of the valve covers.

There's a square pad on top of each cover. At least one of them should have an embossed label on it that says "Maxidyne" or "Thermodyne".

If it says Maxidyne, then the engine is an ENDT 675 because that was the only 6 cyl. Maxidyne in 1969.

If it says Thermodyne then it is an ENDT673C because that would be the only turbocharged 6 cyl Thermodyne in 1969.

Of course this info is assuming that someone hasn't put different valve covers on the engine at some point in the past 38 years.

As I said in an earlier post, that truck should have an ENDT675 Maxidyne in it.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

If it says Maxidyne, then the engine is an ENDT 675 because that was the only 6 cyl. Maxidyne in 1969.

As I said in an earlier post, that truck should have an ENDT675 Maxidyne in it.

Was the ENDT675 a turbo? The engine in the truck says Maxidyne and has a turbo