Some Jersey Brockways

vision386

The Brockway was made in Cortland NY, about an hr away from me. I drove a Mackway (Brockway with the mack cab) a few times for a asphalt company I used to work for.

The usual driver of that truck used to work for Brockway and told me the story of why Mack shut the plant down, what a shame.

Seems, as he told it, that the Brockway workers union had negotiated a new contract with Mack, and according to him Mack had agreed to almost all of they had asked for. Then the Mack workers negotiated theirs and had gotten a better deal (probably asked for more), when the Brockway union found out they went back and demanded more. Mack basically said no, so they threatened to strike and was told that if they strike that they would be shut down.

They went out on strike and Mack shut the plant down. Stupid.

The old plant stood for years until Rubbermaid cut a deal with NY state and Cortland county, for big tax breaks and a new plant. So they tore down the Brockway plant and built a new plant there for Rubbermaid. 7 years later when the tax break deal was over Rubbermaid packed their bags and left.

There is a Brockway club in Cortland and every year they shut a street down and have their "Brockway days" truck show. Some real sharp Huskies show up for it.

I think the union BA called a wild Cat strike without the members vote! But the Brockway guys did go back with Macks blessing and when a deal to sell Brockway (behind the workers backs) fell through Mack locked them out and shut them down! Just to note here, Brockway was beating Mack out on a lot of bids (esp. the last one Iran and US Gov. contracts) so be careful Mack, Volvo is watching you, you don't want the same thing to happen to you now !

BULLHUSK

The Brockway was made in Cortland NY, about an hr away from me. I drove a Mackway (Brockway with the mack cab) a few times for a asphalt company I used to work for.

The usual driver of that truck used to work for Brockway and told me the story of why Mack shut the plant down, what a shame.

Seems, as he told it, that the Brockway workers union had negotiated a new contract with Mack, and according to him Mack had agreed to almost all of they had asked for. Then the Mack workers negotiated theirs and had gotten a better deal (probably asked for more), when the Brockway union found out they went back and demanded more. Mack basically said no, so they threatened to strike and was told that if they strike that they would be shut down.

They went out on strike and Mack shut the plant down. Stupid.

The old plant stood for years until Rubbermaid cut a deal with NY state and Cortland county, for big tax breaks and a new plant. So they tore down the Brockway plant and built a new plant there for Rubbermaid. 7 years later when the tax break deal was over Rubbermaid packed their bags and left.

There is a Brockway club in Cortland and every year they shut a street down and have their "Brockway days" truck show. Some real sharp Huskies show up for it.

I think the union BA called a wild Cat strike without the members vote! But the Brockway guys did go back with Macks blessing and when a deal to sell Brockway (behind the workers backs) fell through Mack locked them out and shut them down! Just to note here, Brockway was beating Mack out on a lot of bids (esp. the last one Iran and US Gov. contracts) so be careful Mack, Volvo is watching you, you don't want the same thing to happen to you now !

BULLHUSK

well said bullhusk, the brocks were selling very well when the strike occurred, mack should not ley history repeat itself.

• 2 weeks later...

Heres a picture of the Brockway owned by by Grandfather,the 361 on the right,we only had this truck a short time,and I only drove it once or twice,i do remember it was a Cummins,10 speed,it had been owned by puritan oil company in Bellmawr,NJ. Pop traded it in on the F-model from a previous post,because at the time we needed a truck with a sleeper on it. I wish I had had the forethought to hang on to it back then!...........Mark

Nice. I have to admit, I prefer the look of the 300 series cab to the Mack cab on the 700's.

Jim

Heres a picture of the Brockway owned by by Grandfather,the 361 on the right,we only had this truck a short time,and I only drove it once or twice,i do remember it was a Cummins,10 speed,it had been owned by puritan oil company in Bellmawr,NJ. Pop traded it in on the F-model from a previous post,because at the time we needed a truck with a sleeper on it. I wish I had had the forethought to hang on to it back then!...........Mark

What a great pic! I don't know if you noticed it, but both of those Brockways, the 761 and the 361 were Huskidrive trucks... Notice the double dogs on the grills! 700 Huskidrive's were fairly rare. Hope you don't mind Mark but I shared this pic on the Brockway message board...

Tom

• Like 1