Fuel Tank Bracket Welting

Hi folks,

I was wondering what to use for insulating my fuel tanks and brackets. Very little is left of the old stuff and tanks are starting to move around. Also what about the straps what should I use there.

Thanks Chuck

I've got this same question. Someone must know of a source for a suitable rubber insulator material.

On one of my trucks I found Garlock gasket rubber about 1/4" thick used as the bracket to tank insulator - it was great stuff - fabric reinforced and able to cut to size - but, even though it's made near here, I can't find any.

On the straps the Garlock material is way too heavy to make the curves. I was thinking of gluing up several laminations of inner tube material for the strap insulators.

Maybe we should get Barry in on this - perhaps Watts Mack already has the right stuff. Or maybe this is a fairly generic material used on a number of trucks.

Paul Van Scott

Welting, or strapping, that looks similar to a lamp wick, and gummed on one side is still available from Mack. If you can use it, it is sold by the foot. Rubber strapping material is also available from PAI Industries, however they don't sell to the public. They have a huge catalog of AFTER MARKET parts. You can view it on line, after signing up. call during business hours and they will direct you to a dealer near you. Call Your Mack dealer first, they still have a lot of old stuff in the warehouse. If you can come up with a part number, you might get lucky. Mack transfered a lot of their very old parts catalogs to computer. Some of the pages are of poor quality, some are very good. Anyway, you don"t know what you can get till you ask. Biggest problem is finding someone interested enough to help you look. James

A strap on my R model broke a few months ago, so I ordered a new fuel tank strap. Thought it would come with the rubber gasket, but it did'nt. I went to Tractor Supply Company and bought 7 feet of hay bayler belting, and cut it to fit. Does'nt really look to bad, and it was only a couple of bucks.

Well I guess I'm not the only one looking for this stuff. I do have some old Mack part mumbers for the welting on the B models I'll check into that. I also went to a local industial supply that specializes in power transmission belts. They seem to have many different options. They are going to check price and availibility for me (the right guy was on vacation). I'll let you folks know what I find out.

Chuck

Chuck,

Try www.patwalshrestorations.com he has fuel tank insulator seal (for use on brackets) for $6.75 per foot and fuel tank strap webbing (woven OEM style) for $6.95 per foot. These are for a B model. The pricing may be off, my price list is a couple of years old. Hope this helps, Art :thumb:

• 3 weeks later...