To go or not to go? Need advice.

tkobes43

Heller fellers,

I have an issue. When my parents divorced 3 years ago i had to give up garage space so my mom can pull her car into the garage at night cause her car got vandalized. A few months ago the mack got vandalized and the International. But thats not the issue. When i gave her part of the garage i had to move my project car (1978 Trans am) to my dads parents barn in vermont for storage. I used my pickup truck at the time to move it but it has since been sold so i could purchase the International. Well my dads side of the family has been sending me numerous letters saying it has to be out ASAP! Or it will be removed by us and disposed... I have not had any contact with them pretty much since my parents got divorced cause they are all raging FUCKING lunatics. pardon my french but its true. So i only have the International and gooseneck to go get the car or my 1996 ford mason dump that has a top speed of 60 mph on the highway and about 45-50 mph with the trailer... What should i take? Should i risk it and take the nat? Or have it take 1.5 years and be safe by taking the dump? If i take the nat I'm going to put a "Not for Hire" sign on the side of the truck... Please help me out.

Tom

"Nothing Breaks Wind Like A Bulldog"

Heller fellers,

I have an issue. When my parents divorced 3 years ago i had to give up garage space so my mom can pull her car into the garage at night cause her car got vandalized. A few months ago the mack got vandalized and the International. But thats not the issue. When i gave her part of the garage i had to move my project car (1978 Trans am) to my dads parents barn in vermont for storage. I used my pickup truck at the time to move it but it has since been sold so i could purchase the International. Well my dads side of the family has been sending me numerous letters saying it has to be out ASAP! Or it will be removed by us and disposed... I have not had any contact with them pretty much since my parents got divorced cause they are all raging FUCKING lunatics. pardon my french but its true. So i only have the International and gooseneck to go get the car or my 1996 ford mason dump that has a top speed of 60 mph on the highway and about 45-50 mph with the trailer... What should i take? Should i risk it and take the nat? Or have it take 1.5 years and be safe by taking the dump? If i take the nat I'm going to put a "Not for Hire" sign on the side of the truck... Please help me out.

Tom

Take the little truck as you are more comfortable with it and a car hauler trailer. No law to worry about and I'm assuming you don't have the correct license for the International?

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Take the little truck as you are more comfortable with it and a car hauler trailer. No law to worry about and I'm assuming you don't have the correct license for the International?

Rob

Tis true. I do not have my CDL. I would feel more comfortable with the international since its a lot bigger and has A/C dump truck does not and its a 5 hours ride 1 way :( Even if i put a sticker on that says "Not For Hire" you still think they'd give me shit if i got stopped? Granted the International truck has no commercial plates and the trailer doesn't either.

Take the Navistar/IH truck, the Firebird probably weighs in at about 3500 lbs, the same as a small boat so no problems. Strap it down good and go. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Tis true. I do not have my CDL. I would feel more comfortable with the international since its a lot bigger and has A/C dump truck does not and its a 5 hours ride 1 way :( Even if i put a sticker on that says "Not For Hire" you still think they'd give me shit if i got stopped? Granted the International truck has no commercial plates and the trailer doesn't either.

I don't know your area and certainly wouldn't risk an impound but that's just me. Around here, I'd not hesitate.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Well ive made up my mind. Im going to be taking the International. Due to i have my uncle and cousin coming. It would be a very uncomfortable ride to Vermont with no ac and only a bench seat since the dump truck only sits 3!

Ill take a few pics along the way as this is my "first" long haul with the truck and trailer. If anyone needs anything brought back to jersey and its along my way i dont mind picking it up and bringing it back to my house if that helps any of you out... Wish my luck as i am leaving Saturday the 21st.

Tom

A town called Wells Vermont. About 15-20 min from Rutland, and about 30 min from Manchester.

I've heard of Wells, but don't recall ever being there. I'm way down in the south east corner just below Brattleboro. Let me know if you have any Vermont questions I might be able to help you with.

Steve

At least bring some wood to help the angle. If you need help and advice with that T/A I've been doing those cars since 1990. Built up a good rep with them too. The Formula in my name is for my 1980 Firebird Formula I've had since 90.

I drove my 78 Trans Am i restored to the Trans Am Nationals in Dayton Ohio. 600 miles one way and the pansy next to me trailered his car 25 miles and it was driver quality. What's the sense in owning it if you can't drive it?

• Like 1

At least bring some wood to help the angle. If you need help and advice with that T/A I've been doing those cars since 1990. Built up a good rep with them too. The Formula in my name is for my 1980 Firebird Formula I've had since 90.

I drove my 78 Trans Am i restored to the Trans Am Nationals in Dayton Ohio. 600 miles one way and the pansy next to me trailered his car 25 miles and it was driver quality. What's the sense in owning it if you can't drive it?

Im trying to find away to make them less steep. I had my 96' Mason Dump on the trailer today. And it almost hit. I can guarantee that the trans am will hit. You going to the Nationals this year?

Tom

No. I have missed the last 5 years or so. I haven't had a good 'bird to go with. My Formula is still about a year and $12000 from being done and I need to put up a new garage first. Check out some pictures at www.jtresto.com. Go under formula project. I haven't updated my site in over a year but you will see how far I went.

Im trying to find away to make them less steep. I had my 96' Mason Dump on the trailer today. And it almost hit. I can guarantee that the trans am will hit. You going to the Nationals this year?

Tom

Weld youself up a dovetail for the trailer that can be removed with a "cherry picker" engine hoist. This can be a tongue and groove type affair with steel strapping that bolts into the trailer for retention.

Rob