What to do Paint fenders on or off B-61

You can do it a few ways. Prep, prime it and paint the edges with truck color before you assemble it. Prep, prime and paint the fenders, than protect the edges with lo tack tape on assembly. I've done it both ways.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Did you tape the rubber gasket?

When I painted the fenders on the vehicles (both trucks and cars), the fender welting or gasket was not installed and the fender bolts were not tightened down. I installed the welting by slotting the bottom of the bolt holes and sliding it between the fender and the body and the front panel. I used that method on V.W. bugs and 2 1941 Chevrolets also. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

One thing I forgot with the welting. Roughly fit it to the fenders before you start to see where it needs a "relief " cut so it can follow the bends. Than tag it to those fenders. You will still need some adjustment in the end but you'll be 95% there. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

pretty easy to paint off the truck then reassemble. i usually cut the head off a 3/8 bolt and thread it into one of the fender holes in the caband slip the fender over it then clamp a pair of vise grips on the end to hold the fender on temperarily til i put the rest of bolts in. i also install the inner fender and outer, then the two rivets in the back that hold the two fenders together then bolt the front (black) inner headlite panel to the fender then slip it all on as one piece. put the two top bolts in the inner headlight panel then the back two bolts with the welting, then take off the visegrips and the cut off bolt then install the last 3/8 bolt then the two 5/16 bolts at the bottom of the fender, leave it all loose then install the outer headlight panel. Matt

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

Maddog,

Thanks for the tip about the bolt, I have done that in the past and made guide pins for transmission and hydraulic covers and such. The fenders are so bulky and I dont have a lot help so any tip to make it easy is helpful.

41chevy,

Thanks, thats what I will do

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."