Colonial Pit in Port Washington

41chevy

Paul,

I was surprised to read that there are still remains of the operations. Are they located on the property where the landfill is? Are they accessible to the public? I went over by the memorial a few months ago and shot some pictures. It's great that those who worked there have been honored.

Thanks,

John

Paul - Very interesting! Take more pics if you get the bid.

Those links posted are really interesting as well - I liked:

The story is told of the Italian immigrant in the late 1800s in New York who learned three things on arrival: ``First, the streets aren't paved with gold. Second, they aren't paved at all. And third, you're expected to pave them.''

I cropped the plaque but I'll be over there again this week end.

The buildings abut the far western end of the land fill, the Petro property and the Golf Course. There is also some remains of the barge dock next to Bar Beach. Access is only through the town of North Hempstead landfill, but if I get the contract John you are welcome to go for a ride through there with me.

The dump truck is at the Clock Tower where Shore Road and Old Northern Blvd join, There wasn't a bridge over Roslyn went the roll over happened. Here is an album from 1948 to the 50's of Colonial.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pwpl/sets/72157622964160839/detail/

Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Excellent slide show, thanks for posting. The clock tower must be what I was thinking of when I said statue.

My Dad lived in Port Washington in the late 60's so I got to see some of this as a kid. Unfortunately, he lived on the other side near the yacht club so most of the time he would use PW Blvd.

Jim

Excellent slide show, thanks for posting. The clock tower must be what I was thinking of when I said statue.

My Dad lived in Port Washington in the late 60's so I got to see some of this as a kid. Unfortunately, he lived on the other side near the yacht club so most of the time he would use PW Blvd.

There is a statue there too, but I have no idea of who or what...Civil War I think, have to look on sat when I go to the pit. Used to work for Sal at Ghost Motorcycles in the late 60's to pay off my Norton and to a little hobby store called Jumbles with a lady who looked like Granny Clampet. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

There is a statue there too, but I have no idea of who or what...Civil War I think, have to look on sat when I go to the pit. Used to work for Sal at Ghost Motorcycles in the late 60's to pay off my Norton and to a little hobby store called Jumbles with a lady who looked like Granny Clampet. Paul

My Dad got his mc license in '67-'68 and rented from Ghost a few times. Maybe our paths have crossed. He also worked part-time at Shields Hardware. At the time, he was living at the Bayview Hotel at Main and Bayview.

Jim

My Dad got his mc license in '67-'68 and rented from Ghost a few times. Maybe our paths have crossed. He also worked part-time at Shields Hardware. At the time, he was living at the Bayview Hotel at Main and Bayview.

Probably did. I used race my Norton down by a resturant called the Barge and out of Spinny Hill Auto Body. Traded the Norton is 1971 for a new XLH Sporty. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

My Dad decided to get his mc at age 48 because it was the only motor vehicle he wasn't licensed for. He would rent from Ghost so he could take a ride when he got the urge. He did that for only a few years and then stopped riding. I had fun with dirt bikes when I was younger but lost interest somewhere along the way, I'm not sure when or why.

The Barge and Spinny Hill don't ring a bell, but that was many moons ago. I do remember sitting at the counter of the P&P Diner which was across the street from the train station. Dad was not a drinker so that was his hangout-the man would nurse a cup of coffee for an hour then jokingly complain to the waitress that it was cold. :twothumbsup:

Jim