International Payhauler

other dog

I saw this truck sitting off of rt. 19 just north of Summersville, W.V. a while back. I thought it was the extremely rare, seldom seen, and never photographed International Payhauler, but I wasn't sure.It was parked way down yonder off a side road, hard to see, much less get a picture of. I tried and failed several times to get a picture while driving up rt. 19.

Yesterday I was coming south, it was pretty early, so I decided to stop and check it out. I was going to pull off on the ramp at the Muddelty exit and walk over to it but that was a lot of work, so I took a left, then a right onto the road where the truck was sitting. I thought it would bring me back out onto 19 but as soon as I turned I saw a "Dead End" sign. So I kept going anyway of course, figuring i'd figure something out.

I passed the truck, then turned left into a dirt road, went down a little ways and found another gravel road I could back into to turn around. I took some pictures from where I turned around, then more from the road on the way out.

By now I wasn't even sure if it was a Pay Hauler or not, because I didn't see an IH on the grill or International on it anywhere. I was probably 300 yards or more from it where I turned around, and close to 100 yards from it where I stopped in the road.

I didn't positively identify it until today when I could see the big picture, and it is indeed a Pay Hauler 350. Now I wish i'd walked through the woods and briar patch over to it and got a really close look.

• Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

In the first photo, it looks like someone drove it like I would - up to axle deep in fill.

I see a big metal thing like that and my right hand starts to go on autopilot and compress the oxygen lever on the imaginary torch I am holding

one of the companies i used to work for had 4 of these 3 had cummins engines and 1 had 2 detroits 6v92s i think. one turned normal and the other turned backwards they were mounted flywheel to flywheel with a gearbox inbetween them. if you had a big enough sack of marbels they would go anywhere if it was dry. but if it was wet you couldnt pay for a ride like you would take in them on a small hill. the biggest prob we had out of them were the front springs if you hit a bump or a hole too fast it would break the springs.

Other Dog, now thas the kind of Kodiakatronomy I expect from you! All you others on here sit up and take a look at the "Master at Work". He went to a lot of trouble to get those pics of the elusive and rarely seen Int35282##al paystarhauler! He is my mentor! randyp

• Like 1

one of the companies i used to work for had 4 of these 3 had cummins engines and 1 had 2 detroits 6v92s i think. one turned normal and the other turned backwards they were mounted flywheel to flywheel with a gearbox inbetween them. if you had a big enough sack of marbels they would go anywhere if it was dry. but if it was wet you couldnt pay for a ride like you would take in them on a small hill. the biggest prob we had out of them were the front springs if you hit a bump or a hole too fast it would break the springs.

Joe, les just not have any more talk bout engines "running backwards", I may have a relapse with cold chills,,,,randyp
  • Like 1

I just watched a video from IH again, that's how I recognized a Pay hauler in the first place, and the Pay hauler part was filmed in 1976 at a coal co. near Hazard ,Ky. I just watched it and I forgot the name of the coal co. already. Thought maybe it was where you worked.

Other Dog, now thas the kind of Kodiakatronomy I expect from you! All you others on here sit up and take a look at the "Master at Work". He went to a lot of trouble to get those pics of the elusive and rarely seen Int35282##al paystarhauler! He is my mentor! randyp

Well thank you very much randyp!

I ordered a DVD from Farmington Implement Co. called 70 Years of International Harvester, got segments about the Payhauler, Scouts, snow fighters, the LCD 405, and more stuff. Pretty good video, the Payhauler part is from 1976, Scout from 1959-1960, snow fighters is from 1938, the LCD 405 is from 1952. I think I ordered it out of a Wheels of Time magazine.