What Does Model Letters Indicate?

I work for an oil co. We have several really big Macks that we use for rig up trucks. We call one the RD and one the big dog. The big dogs bumper is about chest high. ( how cool is that) The RD is a 74 model I think. Can anybody tell me what RD stands for.

Thanks

R is just the sieres . The Early "RD" models were basicly overbuilt R models mainly used in heavy offroad fields. Dont know exactly what the D stands for ? The early RDs Had steel butterfly hoods. at some point they offered one pice fiberglass hoods. Look on the pass side inner frame rail just foward of the front axel. Look for a VIN number stamped there ..."RD688SX" etc.....

I don't believe that there is a specific meaning to the model designation of :mack1: Trucks. Some have sail over the years that certain letters meant different things but I have never been able to verify that. The

RD model is simply the heavy duty version of an R model. Meaning heavy suspension, double frame, severe duty features and things like that.

Hope this answers your question. Doug

Interested in Old Trucks? Check out:

www.antiquetruckclubofamerica.org

There is an even heavier version of the RD...strictly off road, called the RD888SX! I have a customer that just picked up a couple 1999's from down south somewhere...I'll work on getting some photos.

bmodel_logo.png
Barry - Watt's Truck Center Parts Manager and BMT Webmaster...1-888-304-MACK

Hey thanks for the replys guys. I talked to one of the boss's today. He has been at the Mack dealership in Enid. I guess they have a custom shop on location there to build what you want as far as beds winches ginpoles etc. I think he orderd two I don't know what the specs are on em though.

• 1 month later...
I don't believe that there is a specific meaning to the model designation of :mack1: Trucks. Some have sail over the years that certain letters meant different things but I have never been able to verify that. The

RD model is simply the heavy duty version of an R model. Meaning heavy suspension, double frame, severe duty features and things like that.

Hope this answers your question. Doug

The only model I know of that has a meaning to the model letters is the DM which is for Dump & Mixer (this is verified in John Montville's "Mack" book).

It is said that the "G" designation stands for Great Western, but that seems like something the marketing department may have dreamed up afterwards.

Edited by PZ 1

• 2 weeks later...

The only model I know of that has a meaning to the model letters is the DM which is for Dump & Mixer (this is verified in John Montville's "Mack" book).

It is said that the "G" designation stands for Great Western, but that seems like something the marketing department may have dreamed up afterwards.

The Cab over models MR stand for Mack Refuse. The LE model stands for "low entry"