'97 CH Clutch Aftermath!-----Long Post

4020dt

Took my perfectly good running CH E7-427 to the Mack shop for a simple clutch job . 740k miles , had it for 4 yrs , know history of truck , came from this dealership new . Anyway , got the clutch done , machined flywheel , new rear main seal , changed seal on front diff output shaft and everything else seemed ok . $3500 and change later we head to the farm . Eight miles to home never went over 1500rpm bobtailing etc . Couple days later I deciede to haul couple loads of gravel , 15 mi round trip . Take off , get up to 18-1900rpm starts missing , cutout etc , start to wonder what's going on . Pulls good though up to there , 34-5 #boost going up hill . Get to stopsign , shift down , range and splitter in low , let out clutch , no go . They routed the air line to the stationary neutral valve right under the exhaust pipe , burned through left range go into neutral . They wanted to tow it , but came out and fixed it on sight . Next day I hauled the other load and took the truck back to the shop . Told them about the rpm problem and also the clutch brake wasn,t adj properly .

Called me next day said truck was done . Said the tach sensor at flywheel was a little off on ohms reading but it worked and would probably be ok . Took off again , started cutting out at 17-1800 now and was worse than before . Got off at the next exit and headed back to shop again .

They changed the flywheel sensor didn't help and really sounded worse , now it smoked and missed worse when you reved it . Next they changed out the sensor on the injection pump . That didn't work either , now they say the inj PUMP IS BAD !!!! That sensor was changed last July when the econovance solenoid was replaced .

Now what I can't figure out is how a SUPPOSEDLY PROFFESSIONAL SHOP at $85/hr can really f*******p a really nice good old truck . Could they have shorted out something in the wire harness or something . I said what if a pump rebuild doesn't work out , we are at a stand still as or Fri PM . I'm not a proffessional mechanic but I have done lots of wrenching here , Chevy , Deere engine and trans , and I do know what's going on . I do know about inj pumps , the old mechanical inlines and rotaries ,been tractor pulling for 40 yrs . I think they MESSED UP . I'm going there tomorrow AM and try to keep COOL but it's gonna be hard to do . SORRY FOR THE RANT !!!!

Wonder if they resurfaced your flywheel or or put a used resurfaced one in ? We keep a used resurfaced flywheel and sometimes use it if customer is in a hurry and doesn't have time for us to get it to the machine shop. The problem we run into is the E-7 (Pre ETECH) and the ETECH/ASET flywheel look almost the same and will bolt up fine and seem to work except the timing sensors on these two engines are in different locations and if swapped the timing sensor wont read. If your engine is a E-7 Pre E-TECH, the timing sensor screws into the flywheel housing under the starter. If screwed in to far or backed out to far you will get a miss above around 1700 rpm. I think the book says screw in all the way the back out 1 full turn. On some engines this is to far and you have to trial and error adjust it. Also this sensor must only be turned by hand, if wrench or plier marks are on the sensor body its junk. Might need to run a thread tap through it to clean it. We have found out all this stuff the hard way.

They supposedly used my flywheel , he said it had been cut before and that was the last time it could be resurfaced . I told him to call me when it was all torn down and I wanted to see everything but nobody called . They do the resurfacing themselves but could have got mixed up . This one is a VMack , the inline pump with electronic governor control . The rpm pickup in the pump is suposed to be bad . He mentioned about the sensor adjustment . Thanks for the reply .

They supposedly used my flywheel , he said it had been cut before and that was the last time it could be resurfaced . I told him to call me when it was all torn down and I wanted to see everything but nobody called . They do the resurfacing themselves but could have got mixed up . This one is a VMack , the inline pump with electronic governor control . The rpm pickup in the pump is suposed to be bad . He mentioned about the sensor adjustment . Thanks for the reply .

Does the fuel line run behind the engine, if it does maybe the fuel line is smashed between the engine and bellhousing when they put it back together just a thought. Ron