Useless parking brake ( '59 B61)

jdstl

As the title says, my parking brake on my B61 is totally useless. I don't get it, I lubed the handle and all the linkage and it moves smooth and free, and the end of the handle adjusts nicely so you can set it to where you really have to strong arm it to get it locked on. The pads inside the drum on the driveshaft look like they are making contact fully against the drum. I power washed the drum out and cleaned a bunch of crud out, and also tried applying it lightly and driving around the block to see if that would clean the pads off and get it to grip. No dice. I can adjust it to where I can barely get it to pull up and lock, and it barely slows the truck as it rolls down my driveway which is only a slight incline. What am I missing here? Is there some secret to getting it to work correctly? I cant see any reason why it shouldn't be working.

Thanks,

Jason

-Jason-

1959 Mack B61T single axle short wheel base, concave cab. 673 diesel, duplex trans. Running but under contruction!

As the title says, my parking brake on my B61 is totally useless. I don't get it, I lubed the handle and all the linkage and it moves smooth and free, and the end of the handle adjusts nicely so you can set it to where you really have to strong arm it to get it locked on. The pads inside the drum on the driveshaft look like they are making contact fully against the drum. I power washed the drum out and cleaned a bunch of crud out, and also tried applying it lightly and driving around the block to see if that would clean the pads off and get it to grip. No dice. I can adjust it to where I can barely get it to pull up and lock, and it barely slows the truck as it rolls down my driveway which is only a slight incline. What am I missing here? Is there some secret to getting it to work correctly? I cant see any reason why it shouldn't be working.

Thanks,

Jason

If typical those linings on the parking brake are glazed fully. They are also so work hardened on the surface you never will get them to work. If you reline the existing shoes it will be possible to skid the rear tires on gravel when it's applied. They however are always shot on an older truck and most is because of driving with it misadjusted and complacency taking over.

I would convert over to spring parking brakes and you would be much happier, and more modern.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Is there a spring brake retro fit kit available, or is it just off the shelf stuff I can get anywhere? I'm new to air brake setups sorry for my ignorence.

Jason

-Jason-

1959 Mack B61T single axle short wheel base, concave cab. 673 diesel, duplex trans. Running but under contruction!

Is there a spring brake retro fit kit available, or is it just off the shelf stuff I can get anywhere? I'm new to air brake setups sorry for my ignorence. Jason
Not an ignorant question at all. All stuff is readily available over the counter at any heavy truck parts supplier. You need the chambers, a new tractor protection valve, (TP-3) a PP-1 valve, a PP-7 valve, a quick release valve, (QR-1) and interconnecting hoses/tubing. Go to the Bendix website, or Leversole has posted an air brake schematic to follow. It really is not too difficult to convert as long as you can get the chambers to mount in the existing mounts. Seems like your truck was a single axle and you would not have any problem if so. Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

definately sounds like the shoes are glazed over as the 'drum' style parking brake in a b model will usuauly skid the back tires or lock on so tightley you wont be able to move the truck. this was one of the best set ups in the 50's and 60's. a big step up from the 'junk' parking brake style on the 77series transmissions. the 67 and 72 series parkin brakes would hold the truck ona hill with good lining. Matt

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the info and part numbers... I'll look into getting the stuff together. I'm going to pull that drum and have a look at the pads, If thats all it needs I might as well get it working since all the linkage is present and working. Cant hurt to have the original park brake functional too.

Jason

-Jason-

Thanks for the info and part numbers... I'll look into getting the stuff together. I'm going to pull that drum and have a look at the pads, If thats all it needs I might as well get it working since all the linkage is present and working. Cant hurt to have the original park brake functional too.

Jason

If the lining is good- not worn out- and you still have adjustment, you might try taking some rough sand paper and sanding the lining some, just enough to take the glaze off. I've done that many times, especially if I had oil or grease on the linings. Some people will pull the parking brake before they come to a complete stop, which just wears everything out faster.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.