Front End Alignment Tips

71tanker

I just replaced the tie rod ends on my 71 r model and now th efront end alignment has me pullin my hair out, does anyone have a methods, or tips for me anything will help , thanks

Jack each front tire off of the ground and hold a piece of chalk at the centerline of the tire tread while a friend spins the tire to make a line perfectly centered. Now that both tires have these lines, measure the distance from one line to the other (both front and back). Compare the measurements and set the front measurement 1/8" closer than the rear. This will be 1/8" toe in and should get you closer to needed specs. Without bending or shimming the axle, this is about all you can do but it should suffice. Before you adjust the tie rod ends for your toe setting, make sure the steering wheel is centered where you want it.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I always used the wheel (Budd) and set the toe-in at 1/16 inch. about the same distance as Rob's way. Used to have a long rod with an adjustable end. Set it on the front of the wheel and then the back and eyeball it in. Being lazy, I only had to jack up one wheel!!!

Packer

Keep a clutchin'

must jack both of 'em to make sure there is no 'pressure' on the wheel. when the truck will move all your mesurment will get bad... i use masking tape to do it. you just make the wheel turn and put masking tape around it and after that you make the same thing with a pen, smaller line for more precision..

Should really measure toe in from the horizontal centerline of the wheels front and back (same height as the axle shaft) for the proper tow in of 1/8" or 1/16". And the wheels should be back on the ground loaded with the normal front end weight so any kingpin or other looseness is taken into consideration.

I made a gauge using a piece of 1/2" conduit with some vertical flat bar on each end

that can be moved/adjusted on the conduit that I have used for years.

David

David