Cummins Engine Number

trying to find the cummins engine number in my G- model. the tag that goes on the aux. drive has been long gone. truck was originaly a 220 but was changed at some time and would like to know what it has now. cummins guy told my on the back of the block there should be some numbers (8) stamped but i can't find them. took a wire wheel to the block but couldn't find them. once i get the numbers they can tell me what i've got. thanks

and remember

"PREFORMANCE COUNTS"

trying to find the cummins engine number in my G- model. the tag that goes on the aux. drive has been long gone. truck was originaly a 220 but was changed at some time and would like to know what it has now. cummins guy told my on the back of the block there should be some numbers (8) stamped but i can't find them. took a wire wheel to the block but couldn't find them. once i get the numbers they can tell me what i've got. thanks

Are the injector lines external if so it could be a 220, if there in the head without a turbo 250, with a turbo no aftercooler 270-290, with turbo, aftercooler could be 300,350,400. look on the left side of the engine see if it has BIG CAM cast on the engine. Ron

bollweevil. are they the casted numbers i see on the block or are they stamped? i've been looking for stamped. there is some casted numbers behind the shifting linkage bracket that i'll have to take off but no big deal at all. ol' cabover has brackets everywhere.

b-61. the fuel lines are internal. no turbo. was kinda' thinking "250" but just want to be sure. as i said with the engine number cummins can give me the rundown on it. i guess even what truck it was put in to new. as i said somewhere along the line the engine and transmission were changed in this truck. thanks guys.

and remember

"PREFORMANCE COUNTS"

bollweevil. are they the casted numbers i see on the block or are they stamped? i've been looking for stamped. there is some casted numbers behind the shifting linkage bracket that i'll have to take off but no big deal at all. ol' cabover has brackets everywhere.

b-61. the fuel lines are internal. no turbo. was kinda' thinking "250" but just want to be sure. as i said with the engine number cummins can give me the rundown on it. i guess even what truck it was put in to new. as i said somewhere along the line the engine and transmission were changed in this truck. thanks guys.

Cummins also made a super 250 and super 270, the 270 had a turbo they were 927 CID they have 4 rod bolts for each cylinder i put one in the 67 F model that i have a few years back. Ron

Engine numbers are stamped, there should be a raised area, just below the top of the block, about 6 to 8 1nches from the rear. They are often covered with Paint. If you still can"t find it, let me know and I'll research it further. One of the field mechanics from Cummins South lives nearby. I'll ask him. James

bollweevil. i cleaned the block right to bare today and no luck. there is a raised machined strip that runs the lengh of the block under the heads where i would think they would stamp some numbers but saw nothing. even put my glasses on. the only numers i found were cast numbers halfway down the block between the middle and back head. :idunno:

and remember

"PREFORMANCE COUNTS"

Twostick, I haven't been able to find anything different as far as number location is concerned. Here are some things to look at, that might help to narrow this down. 220's, 250's, 270's, and 335's all had a compression release lever located at the left front of the block. 220's had external fuel lines from pump to cylinder head. On 220's. and 250's, you have to loosen the water pump to adjust the fan belt. Also take one last look at the fuel pump. If It hasn't been removed there should be a tag riveted to the top of main body of the fuel pump. It should be just behind the tach drive. If it is still there it will have CPL number, that MIGHT identify your engine. Good luck, keep up the dialog. James

boweevil. found some numbers on the pump tag like you said. i'll send them to cummins and see what i've got in the ol' mutt. they are......NHCT 270 652636. i thought maybe the nhct 270 meant it was a 270 but if i remember right they had turbo's and this doesn't. will let you know. thank you and everyone else for the help. j.j. :thumb:

and remember

"PREFORMANCE COUNTS"

boweevil. found some numbers on the pump tag like you said. i'll send them to cummins and see what i've got in the ol' mutt. they are......NHCT 270 652636. i thought maybe the nhct 270 meant it was a 270 but if i remember right they had turbo's and this doesn't. will let you know. thank you and everyone else for the help. j.j. :thumb:

The 270 is a 250 with a turbo, someone might have changed the pump or the turbo gave up and they changed the exaust manifold and didaway with the turbo, i saw a B61 that had a turbo and someone took the turbo housing off and put a plate over the hole, i bet it had too much fuel with out it. with out the CPL number you might have to narrow it down what everybody told you, there should be a date code on it some where. as far as compression release i had a NH 250 and the N927 didnt have one. Ron

I think that I remember the engine # on old cummins were at the middle or fromt of the block just below the head and a 8########.I have not looked at one in 10 years but I thimk they were there so look and see and I have the cummins quick serve web site at home if I can find my password Glenn

glenn akers

ron. had some other numbers too...AR 5732 and 1283 D. one of those might be the date code. this doesn't have a compression release either. thanks. j.j.

JJ, iwas looking through an old ( 62-72 ) truck Motors manaul it looks like the pump is a 270, the engine casting numbers in book for a NHCT 270 are 181120 or 181110, 270HP turbocharged, there should some engine block casting numbers some place, maybe on the sides. Ron

This post has had some great info in it. I know a couple of older guys that had some dealings with the "super" series Cummins engines...they always spoke very highly of the reliability of them and I can see why now. I bet the engine brake was extremely good at 927 ci as well.

here are some casting numbers i found on the block. maybe this will help.

PART 131000

PAT 138424

0001 00 CD

MADE IN USA

50- 3 25 63

the part number was casted same as pat. number. the last 4 digits were ground off some and 1000 was stamped in it's place.. i'll have everybody scratching there heads pretty quick. j.j. :idunno::blink::pat::rolleyes:

and remember

"PREFORMANCE COUNTS"

here are some casting numbers i found on the block. maybe this will help.

PART 131000

PAT 138424

0001 00 CD

MADE IN USA

50- 3 25 63

the part number was casted same as pat. number. the last 4 digits were ground off some and 1000 was stamped in it's place.. i'll have everybody scratching there heads pretty quick. j.j. :idunno::blink::pat::rolleyes:

I would say the engine was built March 25 1963, i will look at the book to see if i can find the other numbers. Ron