Cam Free

What are the thoughts on the new concept camless engines?I had this idea probaly 30 yrs ago=Kevin

I think it could be a great idea with very precise engine managment at all speeds and loads. Electric solenoids to operate the valves would substantially reduce frictional and parasitic losses under all operatiing conditions. This would boost not only output power per cubic inch displacement, but fuel economy also.

Keep in mind, solenoids that are properly sized to counter valve spring pressure would have to be quite large and draw a reasonable amount of current to ensure reliability/durability. If the vehicle electrical system is boosted to say 48VDC; This would reduce the physical size of the needed hardware, and wiring components. 48VDC is the upper limit that should be used in an automobile type application as higher voltages become dangerous because of "arc over" dangers.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

48VDC is the upper limit that should be used in an automobile type application as higher voltages become dangerous because of "arc over" dangers.

Rob

The reason they wont use 48volts is because when charging the voltage will be 56 volts. once you go over 50 volts the power system is no longer a low voltage setup and is subject to the NEC (national electric code). So all wiring will have to be put into tubes, made inaccessible to the occupants etc... It also poses an electrocution hazard as well.

They will be moving instead, to a 36 volt setup and the charging voltage will be 42 volts. Supposedly with that setup most of the engine driven accessories will be driven by their own motor. The AC compressor, power steering pump and water pump as well as the fan will be removed. A big alternator that will double as a starter motor could be mounted directly to the crank shaft. The accessories only run when needed instead of being constantly driven. They can also be relocated easily too. It will also reduce the gauge of the wiring as the current demand will be cut by 1/3. So if a 30 amp accessory needed 10 gauge wire you could use 16 or 14 instead. Voltage drop will be cut too so starter wiring can be made thinner.

The whole idea of solenoide actuated valves sounds good. adjustments can be made instantly and an engine brake will be a snap to implement as it will be a simple software procedure.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Did you ever look at the warning decal on the side of a C12 Cat engine?

Something about hazardous voltage to the electronic unit injectors.

If I remember it said 90 - 100 volts or something.

Tomorrow when I'm at the shop I'll get the exact number.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

If you're ever under the hood of a late model Ford with a Powerstroke, watch out for the injector wiring, they operate on 110VDC. All of these wires are wrapped in red harnesses.

Jeff

1971 Mack R600 Toterhome "Superdawg"

living the life of leisure pulling

1999 NuWa Snowbird 34+2 SE102 "Dawghouse"

Did you ever look at the warning decal on the side of a C12 Cat engine?

Something about hazardous voltage to the electronic unit injectors.

If I remember it said 90 - 100 volts or something.

Tomorrow when I'm at the shop I'll get the exact number.

Today I checked that decal, it says 90 to 120 volts.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Today I checked that decal, it says 90 to 120 volts.

Hmmm I suppose since the wiring is confined to the engine it might be alkright as long as it is coverd from end to end. I also know CAT has an APU system that has a large 340 volt water cooled generator that pushes a few kilowatts to an HVAC box under the passenger side of the cab. It both heats and cools using electric from the engine mounted generator or a small diesel genset on the side of the truck, or "shore power" at a truck stop. As long as the higher voltage is kept out of the cab area its ok.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!