:SMOKIE-LFT: YESTERDAY MORNING THE UN THINKABLE HAPPENED TO ME AGAIN FOR THE SECOND TIME IN 2 YEARS . I WAS HEADING NORTH UP TO OWEN SOUND ONTARIO JUST LEAVING THE TOWN OF LISTOWEL ONT. I HAD ANOTHER CAR LOOSE CONTROL AND SLAM INTO ME HEAD ON . IT WASN"T NICE WHAT HAPPENED TO THE OCCUPANTS OF THE CAR. IT WASN'T MY FAULT AND THE POLICE AND WITNESSES ALL TOLD ME THE THERE WAS NOTHING I COULD HAVE DONE TO AVOID IT. IT'S JUST BUGGING ME THAT THIS IS THE 2nd TIME IN 2 YEARS THAT I GOT NAILED BY AN OUT OF CONTROL 4 WHEELER. 1st IT WAS MY 89 SUPERLINER, AND NOW MY92 MH CABOVER . I'M THINKING ALOT. AND AM THINKING OF JUST PACCKING IT IN AND LOOKING FOR A CAREER MOVE. I ASSUME THE INSURANCE WILL RAPE ME AGAIN . I SURE WILL MISS THE BIG OLD V8.

:SMOKIE-LFT: THANKS GUYS. I WENT AND LOOKED AT THE TRUCK AND GET ALL MY TOOLS AND STUFF OUT OF IT YESTERDAY. I CONSIDER MY SELF VERY LUCKY TO HAVE WALKED AWAY WITHOUT A SCRATCH ON ME. AS FOR THE OLD TRUCK , SHE GOT HIT PRETTY HARD. I GUESS THE INSURANCE IS GOING TO WRITE IT OFF. I'M INTHE PROCESS OF DUKING IT OUT WITH THEM. I SENT THEM ALOT OF THE BILLS FOR EVERYTHING I DID TO IT IN THE LAST YEAR . I HOPE NOT TO GET RIPPED OFF TOO BAD. THE MOTOR HAD ONLY ABOUT 50,000 MILES ON IT SINCE I REBUILT IT LAST YEAR. SURE HOPE I COME OUT OK ON IT. I'D LIKE TO BE ABLE TO SALVAGE THE E9 AND MAYBE RE FRAME MY SUPERLINER THAT GOT HIT 2 YEARS AGO, BUT THATS JUST A THOUGHT PROBABLY WON'T BE THAT LUCKY. THE APRAISER CAN'T GIVE ME A BOOK VALUE BECAUSE HIS BOOK DOESN'T GO BACK THAT FAR TO 92 LET ALONE THE FACT THAT IT'S A CABOVER. I TOLD HIM TO LOOK ON THE NET AND SEE THE ASKING PRICE FOR E9 POWERED HEAVY SPEC'D MACKS AND SEE WHAT THE'RE ASKING FOR THEM. AND TOLD HIM THAT THAT IS WHAT I AM EXPECTING OUT OF IT. AFTER ALL THE ACCIDENT WASN'T MY FAULT SO THEY HAVE TO GO AFTER THE CAR OWNERS INSURANCE TO RECOOP THEIR LOSES. IT'S NOT REALLY ANY SKIN OFF THEIR BUTT.

:SMOKIE-LFT: THANKS GUYS. I WENT AND LOOKED AT THE TRUCK AND GET ALL MY TOOLS AND STUFF OUT OF IT YESTERDAY. I CONSIDER MY SELF VERY LUCKY TO HAVE WALKED AWAY WITHOUT A SCRATCH ON ME. AS FOR THE OLD TRUCK , SHE GOT HIT PRETTY HARD. I GUESS THE INSURANCE IS GOING TO WRITE IT OFF. I'M INTHE PROCESS OF DUKING IT OUT WITH THEM. I SENT THEM ALOT OF THE BILLS FOR EVERYTHING I DID TO IT IN THE LAST YEAR . I HOPE NOT TO GET RIPPED OFF TOO BAD. THE MOTOR HAD ONLY ABOUT 50,000 MILES ON IT SINCE I REBUILT IT LAST YEAR. SURE HOPE I COME OUT OK ON IT. I'D LIKE TO BE ABLE TO SALVAGE THE E9 AND MAYBE RE FRAME MY SUPERLINER THAT GOT HIT 2 YEARS AGO, BUT THATS JUST A THOUGHT PROBABLY WON'T BE THAT LUCKY. THE APRAISER CAN'T GIVE ME A BOOK VALUE BECAUSE HIS BOOK DOESN'T GO BACK THAT FAR TO 92 LET ALONE THE FACT THAT IT'S A CABOVER. I TOLD HIM TO LOOK ON THE NET AND SEE THE ASKING PRICE FOR E9 POWERED HEAVY SPEC'D MACKS AND SEE WHAT THE'RE ASKING FOR THEM. AND TOLD HIM THAT THAT IS WHAT I AM EXPECTING OUT OF IT. AFTER ALL THE ACCIDENT WASN'T MY FAULT SO THEY HAVE TO GO AFTER THE CAR OWNERS INSURANCE TO RECOOP THEIR LOSES. IT'S NOT REALLY ANY SKIN OFF THEIR BUTT.

In Illinois (and most other states), if a wrecked motor vehicle is nine or more model years old, the original owner can elect to keep the salvage vehicle for a percentage of the approximate salvage value, (this is assuming one had adequate insurance coverage, or was not at fault in the collision). Say for instance the vehicle is worth $5000.00 average retail. The owner would be entitled to average retail value plus or minus any additions, or betterment(s). Now depending on salvage value of the said wreck, the amount to purchase is somewhere between 10-20% of the average retail value at a salvage auction. In this example, $500.00 to $1000.00. 20% is a very high factor with the exception of SUV's and pickup trucks at this time where 30-35% is the norm. This is the amount the insurance thinks they can get at the salvage pool auction. It is also the dollar amount the owner can retain ownership of the wreck upon signing a release of liability for the insurance company. Generally a rebuilt engine on an older vehicle will only give you nickels on the dollar for an increase in value; Unfortunately, the vehicle is still a 1992 model year no matter how you slice it. Most times a fair adjuster will be happy to work with the original owner to avoid the processing fees associated with the disposal of the wreck.

Like I said, this is Illinois, but most states are similar in operation and laws.

Hope this helps.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

• 2 weeks later...
:SMOKIE-LFT: WELL I SETTLED WITH THE INSURANCE THE OTHER DAY. THEY GAVE ME CLOSE ENOUGH TO WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR OUT OF IT PLUS 20 DAYS OF DOWNTIME AND THE TRUCK BACK FOR SALVAGE. SO WHEN I GET THE MH BACK HOME AND DISMANTLED FOR PARTS I'M FIGURING ON DIGGING MY SUPERLINER OUT OF MOTHBALLS AND FIXING IT. FOR NOW I THINK I'M GOING TO JUST DRIVE FOR SOMEONE. AND JUST HAVE THE SUPERLINER FOR A BIG TOY. I DON'T INTEND ON BUYING ANOTHER TRUCK FOR THE ROAD RIGHT NOW AT LEAST NOT UNTLL FUEL PRICES GO DOWN.

:SMOKIE-LFT: WELL I SETTLED WITH THE INSURANCE THE OTHER DAY. THEY GAVE ME CLOSE ENOUGH TO WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR OUT OF IT PLUS 20 DAYS OF DOWNTIME AND THE TRUCK BACK FOR SALVAGE. SO WHEN I GET THE MH BACK HOME AND DISMANTLED FOR PARTS I'M FIGURING ON DIGGING MY SUPERLINER OUT OF MOTHBALLS AND FIXING IT. FOR NOW I THINK I'M GOING TO JUST DRIVE FOR SOMEONE. AND JUST HAVE THE SUPERLINER FOR A BIG TOY. I DON'T INTEND ON BUYING ANOTHER TRUCK FOR THE ROAD RIGHT NOW AT LEAST NOT UNTLL FUEL PRICES GO DOWN.

:SMOKIE-LFT:

Glad the insurance co. didn't beat you up too bad. Sometimes they do good work... :clap:

When I got "left-turned" on my Harley,the other guy's insurance co. gave me almost $1,000.00 more than I paid for it (I got a helluva deal on it),and I was able to buy it back for $700.00. It looked like it was rolled into a ball,so I pulled it all apart to try to have the frame straightened or find a new one,and buy new forks for it. A friend made a good offer on the bike so I sold it to him. He had it back on the road 2 days later,and didn't buy any parts for it,just fixed the wrecked stuff.

Sounds like this'll be your chance to improve on perfection and build your truck the way you wished it had been done the first time. :chili: I'll bet by the time you get it roadworthy again,you'll be chomping at the bit to put it back to work.

Speed :SMOKIE-RT:

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

• 1 month later...

:bmod2: Well after a month and a half long break after my mishap I finally got back behind the wheel again. I did a day trip for a guy in mid april and I'm not proud to admit it but I spent a 12 hour day in a Volvo . I sure wouldn't trade a good ole :mack1: for 10 of those things. Needless to say that was enough of driving a Volvo career for me. I think a truck like that is for boys that like boys. A couple days later I got me a job with an excavating co. about 4 miles from home . They have real trucks there, mostly Macks consisting of 4 CH tractors , 3 RB tri-axle dumps , and 1 CL tri-axle dump , ranging in HP from 350 to 427 . They sure don,t hold a candle to my E9 , but they sure beat that Volvo . As for my project superliner I haven't had time to get started on it yet . I got the E9 and tranny and everything else I wanted out of the MH home a few weeks ago . I got my buddys backhoe here to do the lifting I need to do . I just need to get at it . I'm hoping to get started on it soon . I'll keep you guys posted on my progress on it , and maybe someday figure out how to post some of my pics . I'm kind of computer illiterate , but i'm sure I'll figure it out one of these days . In the meantime keep the shiny side up , the rubber side down , and the black smoke rollin . :bmod1: