Wiring Harness Toast!

If you are changing over from Series/Parallel, then there isn't too much to worry about. I did this to my truck also.

You'll put the 12v batteries in the boxes, run the two BIG cables up to the starter direct from batteries. A small FORD style solenoid will then be used to actuate the starter. I mounted mine up where s/p switch was and used the wire from starter button(on dash) to activate it. You will run a #10 ga. size wire from 12v POSITIVE at starter, back to solenoid, then from solenoid back to big solenoid ON the starter.

You push button on dash which activates little FORD soleniod, thus providing 12v to starter soleniod, thus activating starter. Pretty simple once you get the jist of it.

Good luck

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Sometimes, usually when a no start would be a big event, nothing happens when I hit the dash button. It has always fired up second or third time I hit it. I carry a spare button, but is there something else, besides my B61's sense of humor, that might cause this? Grounds look clean and tight

Crazy thing............mine has the same mindset. Usually a couple times a summer it goes "click" for no reason. After the second year of it I pulled starter and had them recheck it for bad spot. Nothing wrong with it so I put it back in. It's done it again, but never a real problem. Usually a couple pushes on the button brings it to life. It's all new, so I know it's not a connection or wear issue.

I look at it as........"it still starts and gets me there after near 50 yrs"........so I don't complain much.

Larry

Sounds like solenoid problems. They do two things. First the solenoid pulls the starter drive into the ring gear and then makes the conection to spin the starter motor. Inside the solenoid is a large copper disk that contacts the positive battery cable terminal (on neg. ground trucks) and the terminal that goes to the starter. If that disk gets corroded or arced from starting with low voltage it may not be making good enough contact to spin the starter motor. If you can get the solenoid apart you can clean the terminals and disk. Also put a bit of lubrication or the starter shaft where the drive slides back and forth. Should solve the problem.

• 5 months later...
If you are changing over from Series/Parallel, then there isn't too much to worry about. I did this to my truck also.

You'll put the 12v batteries in the boxes, run the two BIG cables up to the starter direct from batteries. A small FORD style solenoid will then be used to actuate the starter. I mounted mine up where s/p switch was and used the wire from starter button(on dash) to activate it. You will run a #10 ga. size wire from 12v POSITIVE at starter, back to solenoid, then from solenoid back to big solenoid ON the starter.

You push button on dash which activates little FORD soleniod, thus providing 12v to starter soleniod, thus activating starter. Pretty simple once you get the jist of it.

Good luck

Hey freightrain i recently bought a 59 b61 and i am having problems getting it to do anything but honk the horn i was told to put in a 12v system in the whole truck and it sounds like a good idea any suggestions

The 12v system is only the alternator and starter, which will not really fix any wiring issues you have with things not working.

It's a pretty simple operation to change those two things over, though will hit your pocket book pretty hard.

Sounds like maybe your series/parallel switch is not working if you can't get it to crank. What's the condition of all the cables? batteries?

Larry