E's as daily working trucks?

Question for all'Ya,

Is it reasonable to work one of these on a quite regular basis, some light duty, some heavier duty (hauling logs and light equipment)?

If or when they go down, is it near impossible to find parts? Or for the application does one find a good body and set it on newer 6-by running gear?

diesels rare or retty common in the E's, And which one's where the most common?

I do get DOT stopped on a rare occasion. An four/six wheel drive? Pretty neccessary for me.

An' don't be afraid of speakin' yer mind, I,m a younger buck, descent wrench, an like things point blank!

rather have that then dump pile a loot, only to have a bucket o' bolts can't do nothing with that just looks pretty.

Thanks, Ben

Question for all'Ya,

Is it reasonable to work one of these on a quite regular basis, some light duty, some heavier duty (hauling logs and light equipment)?

If or when they go down, is it near impossible to find parts? Or for the application does one find a good body and set it on newer 6-by running gear?

diesels rare or retty common in the E's, And which one's where the most common?

I do get DOT stopped on a rare occasion. An four/six wheel drive? Pretty neccessary for me.

An' don't be afraid of speakin' yer mind, I,m a younger buck, descent wrench, an like things point blank!

rather have that then dump pile a loot, only to have a bucket o' bolts can't do nothing with that just looks pretty.

Thanks, Ben

Don't think you would prefer the original running gear as finding parts is gonna be difficult. The both gas, and diesel engine parts are going to be very difficult to get and if you break down, the truck will be that way for a spell. With a newer, and more readily available driveline and parts source, I don't see why it wouldn't work. The steering gear would need to be brough up to date as most don't care for manual steering and the Ross "500" series is another item difficult to obtain parts for. In comparison to a new steering gear, they are also weak by design.

It would be neat to see an older truck working with a late model drivetrain and I really don't see why it wouldn't work. It will be expensive to get started and take quite a bit of time. I think the end result would be worth the trouble but most think I'm "different" anyways.......

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Any old truck is capable of doing today's job just at a much slower pace and a little less safe sometimes. Its all in partts,time,and how much you want to spend on the truck to get it specific to your application. As anything the rarer the truck the more money everything is going to be. If youre looking for something that will suite your needs with using a classic truck look for a Nice B or LJ. Ive seen 6x6 B's not many but a couple. Ive havent seen an LJ 6X6. Look around and talk to guys on here. Just try to be a little better concise.

Based just on the selling prices for the E's and the B's, which are quite similar, I would lean towards the B for an everyday working truck. Parts are much easier to find, they were more reliable, and the chances of finding a 6x6 with a diesel are much greater.

If I were in your shoes I would set a budget and than find a rig to fit it, whether it was an E, B, or even a later model R or U. If I needed a working truck I would be more concerned about reliability than looking cool. To paraphrase the country song; You can fix ugly, but you can't afford unreliability.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Thanks, Many, Many more ?'s to come.

B's in 6x6? which years or application? Any one have an idea as to how many built? or even seen one?

budget, well a person can get a whole pile o $'s in a new rig too. LOL.

an your right, reliability a must.

thanks again, ears'll be open

BEN