14 gallons of oil ? 675

dragonwagon

78 Mack with a 675 in it . I went to change the oil for the first time today . Stick said it was full but not over full when i started . Pulled 14 gallons of oil out of the pan . Taken a close look at the stick it appears to be altered . probable from a different engine , cut off and remarked id guess .

Any one know what the correct volume of oil would be with a filter change ? 3 filters on it . Engine that size is typically only 7 to 9 gallon on a more modern truck .

Mack dealer said he would try to find me an answer but it may be a few days . Id like to get this corrected asap .

Thanks dave , guess ill ad the oil back up to the mark then . This is the 3 filter motor so that puts it just over 14 gallon . Ya that much oil is a bugger plus three filters were 46 something .

I have a 77 R Model it has the ESI ( small pan ,2 filters) I think 78 was the first year for the ESI plus (deep pan 3 filters).

Id rather not have that volume of oil , extended service is ok for long haul trucks , this one makes to many cold starts which contaminates fuel quicker . Any idea how many miles to an oil change there claim ?

Yes this has the huge fuel filter and large water filter .

If i remember rite 15000 on the ESI and ESI PLUS is 25000

You can put the shallow pan on your engine if you want to reduce the amount of oil in the engine. Need to change the pickup tube also.

A cost effective solution may be to utilize the extra oil capacity as per design and extend your drain intervals. You can use an oil sampling program to keep an eye on the oil's condition and change it only when it is depleted.

Gregg