Concrete Mixer Truck Alternator Failure-Again

I went and got a longer alternator belt today- it turned out to be too long of course, so I have to go back to Carquest next weekend. Didn't have time today because I forgot I had to disconnect the pump shaft from the crank to get the belts off so it took a little longer. That's not a problem.

What is a problem is that I connected the wires to the alternator. The old alternator had a negative and a positive terminal on it. So I connected the wire from the positive terminal to the "battery terminal on the new one, and the one that was connected to the negative terminal to the ground screw.

Wrong! I only turned one battery on and the wire connected to the ground screw got too hot to touch in seconds. Seems like that's the way the old one was connected, except it had 2 marked terminals, negative and positive, and the new one just had a "battery" terminal and the ground screw.

Hope I didn't ruin another alternator...summich is gonna cause me to pull what's left of my hair out!

I might have to hire Mike to fly somebody in that knows something, because apparently I do not. Gonna go broke buying alternators pretty quick, if I don't end up burning the truck up first.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

There are both posiitive and negative ground alternators available. I'll bet your truck is still positive ground and the 22SI series alternator you are trying to install is negative ground such is commonplace these days.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

There are both posiitive and negative ground alternators available. I'll bet your truck is still positive ground and the 22SI series alternator you are trying to install is negative ground such is commonplace these days.

Rob

The truck is definately positive ground, alternator- I don't know, I thought if I connected it like the one that came off- what I get for thinkin' again-it would work, but it's not right.

I believe you have solved your own problem. The alternator is suspect. Ebay has positive ground alternators readily available but if it were me, I'd change the truck over to negative ground.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I believe you have solved your own problem. The alternator is suspect. Ebay has positive ground alternators readily available but if it were me, I'd change the truck over to negative ground.

Rob

I looked at Delco alternators online, the one I have and every one listed in their product line were all negative ground. Leece-Neville had a bi-directional one that looks identical to the one I took off for $333. I should try to find the place in Roanoke that rebuilds them and get mine rebuilt. Wrote the name of it on a piece of paper- wonder what I did with that...the original rebuilder is now a Fleet Pride, they told me about the other place.

Called Metro rebuilders in Roanoke this morning (Monday)- that's the other place. They have a rebuilt Leece-Neville, positive ground, on the shelf for $128. That's my plan.

The truck is definately positive ground, alternator- I don't know, I thought if I connected it like the one that came off- what I get for thinkin' again-it would work, but it's not right.

Don't feel bad, I personally know some one (me) when alternators first came out that kept trying to polarize them. Well thats what we did with the generators so I...uh....he did the same thing with the alternators..

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE