Does Mack Make An Engine Anymore?

I appretiate what you have said and like to hear that kind of dedication to product that I once had, But the engine is the engine And seems like a good engine ,BUT Theres more to this than just an engine. they volvotized the rest of the truck as well!Lift the cab off and there sits a Volvo frame!We had a good frame! We could have used the mack frame and volvo cross members Best of both worlds! Mack engine mounts nothing wrong with them either simple design they worked!

Volvo seems to like to complicate simple concepts That does not impress me! They make mountains of mole hills .

We need to build a truck that in the end we can be proud of and the customer can rely on for the most part! adding complication to it isn't doing that!

Have you ever watched star trek on the tube! Volvo is the Borg and WE have been asimilated ,Risistance is futile. :)

When you look at a frame/engine/trans from just a few years ago and then see a change while Volvo owns Mack, doesn't mean that Volvo took charge and changed things just for fun. One issue that all heavy duty trucks had for 2007 was fitting the new filters in the existing frame. Its pretty much once the customer, government, and Mack say what must be on the truck, the next step is to change what you need to to make everyone happy. It would be nice to build a truck like Mack did 30 years ago, but with the strict requirements from fleet owners, government, fuel mileage, etc......you end up stopping a design that was good back then but doesn't make everyone happy today.

Perfect example is why you won't find a steel bumper today; cost savings, fuel mileage (weight), and safety. some things just aren't practical anymore. If there is a market demand for something, it will be manufactured. That goes both ways so its good and bad.

The only thing on a mack that is truly mack now is the cab and the bulldog on the hood!

You need only compare a volvo to a mack side by side to see the minor diffrences.THE frame the drive train with exception of our diffs and trans.

The mr being another exception (Maybe)?And for how long who knows!The Cab will likly become a thing of the past next!

You watch the next big cab revamp volvo does the mack will follow in its foot steps If it still exsists at all! My prediction >Volvo cab a diffrent hood with a bulldog attached. THE NEW BREED The VM they will call it! The 3/4 breed I call it! Well at least it won't be A Heins 57 ! :)

The bulldog on the hood. That will be the last thing to go!

You need only look at what has been done in the past to see the future. VOLVOWhiteGMCAutocarVOLMACK.

Wheel C!

My point is that it should never have come to this, where the Greatest Name In Trucks (Mack) has been acquired by Volvo, and slowly but surely Mack is losing it's identity.

As I said before in other posts, Mack is headed for the same fate as Autocar and White/GMC.

A new family of true Mack engines would surely have been developed if Volvo had not gotten involved.

But why should Volvo spend the money & time developing a true Mack engine, when Mack will eventually either be phased out, or assimilated so thoroughly into the Volvo organization, that for all practical purposes it will cease to exist.

A little honesty on Volvo's part wouldn't hurt either. The MP engines are Volvo engines camouflaged as Mack engines, why can't Volvo (and Mack) just admit that openly, instead of trying to B.S. the public about it?

Amen Herb preach on brother preach on :thumb:

The main truck my family has owned over the years is :mack1: but we have owned the Autocars & White's (pre volvo) & GMC Brigadier & General (pre volvo)

I Keep preaching that the same will happen to :MackLogo: that has happened to the rest volvo has bought (heavy truck & construction eqpt) The only way Autocar came back was that fortunly another company wound up w/ Autocar the bad thing is they are a Low Cabover mostly used as Garbage trucks although i have seen 1 outfitted as a Concrete pumper

As far as The "Jimmy's" the were pashed out within 2 yrs after VO*V* Bought GM's heavy truck div

May the "Jimmy" R.I.P. We owned quite a few over the years w/ NTC Cummins & 2 Stroke Jimmy motors & they were a good "poboy's " truck

I Pray as FJH Mentioned we DONT SEE VOLMACK ON THE TRUCKS IN THE NEAR FUTURE but im afraid :mack1: is having its grave dug slowly i hope pray mack doesnt have one foot on a banna peel & 1 foot in the grave !!!

But folks the future of mack doesnt look good & we have VOLVO 's :icon_bs: to thank for it !!!

just my 2 cents

:mack1:

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

Amen Herb preach on brother preach on :thumb:

The main truck my family has owned over the years is :mack1: but we have owned the Autocars & White's (pre volvo) & GMC Brigadier & General (pre volvo)

I Keep preaching that the same will happen to :MackLogo: that has happened to the rest volvo has bought (heavy truck & construction eqpt) The only way Autocar came back was that fortunly another company wound up w/ Autocar the bad thing is they are a Low Cabover mostly used as Garbage trucks although i have seen 1 outfitted as a Concrete pumper

As far as The "Jimmy's" the were pashed out within 2 yrs after VO*V* Bought GM's heavy truck div

May the "Jimmy" R.I.P. We owned quite a few over the years w/ NTC Cummins & 2 Stroke Jimmy motors & they were a good "poboy's " truck

I Pray as FJH Mentioned we DONT SEE VOLMACK ON THE TRUCKS IN THE NEAR FUTURE but im afraid :mack1: is having its grave dug slowly i hope pray mack doesnt have one foot on a banna peel & 1 foot in the grave !!!

But folks the future of mack doesnt look good & we have VOLVO 's :icon_bs: to thank for it !!!

just my 2 cents

Your correct Bulldogman, a guy argued with me the other day that volvo wasn't trying to ruin mack and that volvo was a better truck. I called him a f-ing liar to his face and walked off, after I told him mack was slowly dying out. I know it's just a truck, but these truck are unbelievable tough. A volvo couldn't stand the even close to a mack in my book. Give me a decent runnin' r model and put someone in a NEW volvo, I'll bet you all the money I have to my name I'll outdo ya. While all the volvo boys are hooking ther truck up to computers getting there better fuel mileage or have a chekc engine light on, I'll be cruising down the highway still making money. Volvo might have all the comfort with your auto trans. and all, but to me your just another steering wheel holding company pu$$y. These newer driver wouldn't even know how to operate a 2 stick trans. much less drive a truck with a little play in the steering. Volvo's are overpriced junk in my opinion. Don't get me wrong I could see myself in a ch series truck, but that's as far as I'll go. See Ya guys and sorry for the long post.

This message was brought to you by Hargraves Potted Meat Product. Chopped full of "Peckers & Lips" since 1933 - John Boy & Billy

Amen joe i agree w/ ya 100% I didnt know how to shift an airshift till i was round 21 yrs old (& im 32 pushing 33) all i was raised on was a 2 stick Mack & 2 Stick 5&4 & 4&4 trannys in like our Autocar we had the GMC'S HAD Airshift 8ll & 9spds except the single axle had a 5&2 w/ a 671 (238) Detroit that enjoyed driving but i was so comfortable w/ a 2 stick i didnt wasnt in a hurry to learn a airshift

These new drivers look @ a 2 stick tranny & say "HOW IN THE HELL DO YA DRIVE THAT TRUCK ?" & SOME CANT EVEN DRIVE A CRIS CROSS TYPE 9SPD :blink:

Give a R OR DM Model mack w/ camel back & a double frame & ill show a VOLVO UP IN THE DIRT & MUD ya may out run me on the blacktop BUT in the dirt ill show a volvo up

I could rant on but i wont

later

I know it's just a truck

LOL I appreciate your opinion and agree all the way with the exception of this part..lol. For a lot of us the Macks have been more than just a truck...they have been a part of our lives and they have provided a very good life and living. If people wonder why I get so defensive over Macks..well..Id say most folks do when their livlihood is on the line. I have been surrounded by Macks since I was born and now 37 years later I have 3 of my own. It just galls me to no end to see what these swedish ******** have done to Mack. To the gentleman that works for Mack..I appreciate your hard work and your pride in your job...but lets be realistic...the only thing Mack about the new ones Im around is the rears and the rear suspension.

Also as far as the steel bumpers and all the other "obsolete" stuff you speak of...... the demands in the coalfields have NEVER changed. Light and cheap does NOT work!! Triple frames, 65 rears, 24 inch rubber and other things that cannot seem to be fathomed by today's "Mack" engineers are simply not an extravagance but an absolute neccesity. Case in point a friend of mine that hauls with me every day is running 2 DM800's....take a guess what year they were made? Try a 1971 and a 1973 model...in fact out of 17 trucks on the haul..12 are 800's (RD and DM) with the newest being a 1994 model and 2 are R600's one is an 82 and one is a 92. The other 3 include a Paystar and 2 Western Stars...which are all 3 99's. So as far as saying the truck of old isnt practical...well what Im seeing around here is that laying out our hard earned money for a new Volvo/Mack is what is NOT practical since nothing is being made there that is even remotely dependable as our old dinosaurs..

Dont kid yourself here...the new Macks are what they are...and they arent real Macks....

Preach on WV Dog Preach on brother the new volvoized Macks arent Half the truck the olddogs are

& ya just like a few others i get on my soap box when it comes to Mack esp the older Mack's

& like i said before i still got the B Model i got my name from 32 almost 33yrs ago & am proud to be named after "THE GREATEST NAME IN TRUCKS" ;)

Later yall