replacing trunnion tube?

macattack

hey gang. ok in the process of replacing my rear trunnion bushings on one side. they are a 31/2 in brass bushings. one inner and one outer per side.

bushings came out pretty good according to the mechanic, they were in rough shape. BUT there is some wear on the shaft for the inner bushing, the outer one is nice and snug, but the inner along the bottom of the tube is worn. dont know how much, but would like to know the procedure for replacing the tube or maybe a repair??

thanks

There is no repair for a worn trunion bar,you need to mike the bar and the saddles to see if there within spec,if not replace everything with new parts,if the old bushings were worn all the way through and the bar is worn like you said than the saddles are most likley worn also and out of round,if you got the bucks I suggest you replace the bar and saddles with new parts,good luck.

If your rear suspension is under 58,000 lbs, then the swing set needs to be slid out of truck. If that is your front loader then I would cut the swing set out with a torch and replace with this http://stengelbros.com/MackParts.htm I have heard of guys cutting the load tube out of the swing set and welding in a new one, but most fabricated swing sets develop cracks at the bottom or rust from the inside.

That is a nice website for Mack parts. It reminded me of the time Dr Bill Comcowich came through town in his W model. He complained about it roaming all over the road. In the end we rebuilt his tie rod ends which were parts readily available from Mack as they were the same as in the RD. But his insulator caps on the rears did not have the side blocks in them along with the insulators being about gone and the brass bushings were gone. Overall sure improved the drive for him after it all got repaired but being a novice I did not think about checking the tube for wear.

Parts are readily available, the trunnion shaft can be replaced in the saddles still on the truck. Proper equipment is the key, this is not a job for an amatuer shop. Under no circumstance should the repair involve welding on the trunnion shaft. Take it to a Mack dealer and ask questions. Expect 40 hrs labour.

thanks gang. i drove down and took a look at it today expecting to see that flat spot. dam it really didnt look all bad. there is some play when you slide on the new bushing, but how snug should it really be. i thought why not have a bushing machined with the id a tad smaller and the od the same???

what you think

They do sell different size bushings,od is the same but id is smaller,but I don't know if you can buy them from Mack,check with a spring shop,also like I said in my first post check the saddles to see if there out of round if they are don't use them.

Yes I mean the bushing housing,and the over size bushing can work well if the bar is not worn to bad and the saddles are not worn or out of round,I used them once and they worked fine,you should have your mechanic measure every thing up and see if it's whith in spec,what ever spec is I don't know but a good spring shop should be able to help out.Were your old buhings worn all the way through?

thanks. i never got a chance to see the old bushings, but i was told they were in rough shape. the saddle itself looks like it might be ok. i was thinking about using a sleeve to slip over the tube and then put in new bushings. like a speedy sleeve. i happen to have a piece of tubing that fits nicely over the tube to take up the slack on the inside of the bushing.

• 3 weeks later...

well took the truck for a ride and about 90% of my wobble issue is fixed. i was told that my king pins need replacing and that should tighten things rite up. just thought i would post what was done. replaced bushings on one side rear. my inner bushing needed to be a larger id. now see what happens when my kings are replaced.

• 4 years later...