How do you remove the horn button from the steering wheel of a 1952 A Model? I have tried pressing and turning it without success. Since it is plastic I'm afraid to pry on it. Any help is appreciated.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

How do you remove the horn button from the steering wheel of a 1952 A Model? I have tried pressing and turning it without success. Since it is plastic I'm afraid to pry on it. Any help is appreciated.

Don't pry on it at all. The Bakelite material will snap off an edge easily. You need to warm the center horn button with a hair dryer, (don't burn the paint) and using a soft leather palmed glove, turn the knob to the left, (most times). It has to be too hot to handle with a bare hand if they are stuck but good.

Rob

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Thanks. I thought prying was the wrong move. I'll try the heat solution later today.

No problem with the paint; It's long gone; worn off by several generations of jakes blowing the horn at folks trying to get them to move out of the way.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Yes it does. The oil leaches out of the rubber the button spins and mounts into and hardens with exposure, and time acting like glue. The heat breaks the bond.

Rob

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I got it off. Thanks. The design was a bit strange in that one of the ears that holds the button down was "captured" in a closed U shaped tab instead of the usual flat tabs. I heated it which softened the plastic enough to release the button. Two of the tabs on the base broke off, but it was easy enough to put them back with Marine-Tex; my go to magic solution for fixing almost everything. I filed the closed tab open on one end so I could turn the button back on like all of the other buttons I have ever taken off.

The interior was pretty corroded which prevented the button from grounding out. A little sandpaper and some patience got it working again.

Because it is an open cab the steering wheel hub has a drain hole drilled in it so pouring a solvent like alcohol into it would be useless.

I got it off. Thanks. The design was a bit strange in that one of the ears that holds the button down was "captured" in a closed U shaped tab instead of the usual flat tabs. I heated it which softened the plastic enough to release the button. Two of the tabs on the base broke off, but it was easy enough to put them back with Marine-Tex; my go to magic solution for fixing almost everything. I filed the closed tab open on one end so I could turn the button back on like all of the other buttons I have ever taken off.

The interior was pretty corroded which prevented the button from grounding out. A little sandpaper and some patience got it working again.

Because it is an open cab the steering wheel hub has a drain hole drilled in it so pouring a solvent like alcohol into it would be useless.

Some used that, but most the knob could be twisted either way to remove. I didn't want to mislead and they all will turn to the left so reasoning for the response provided. The rubber tabs, and hardware are still available if you want to replace with new. The design was used for many years, by many marques.

Rob

The rubber tabs, and hardware are still available if you want to replace with new.

No; the Marine-Tex is an epoxy type material that gives a very strong bond and can be used to "mold" parts if that's what is needed. I have used it over the years to patch gas tanks, fix cracked exhaust manifolds on boat motors, and even to build up worn boat props. It should hold up (I hope).

Are the buttons still available? I'd like to replace the current plain jane with a Mack logo if it is still made.

No; the Marine-Tex is an epoxy type material that gives a very strong bond and can be used to "mold" parts if that's what is needed. I have used it over the years to patch gas tanks, fix cracked exhaust manifolds on boat motors, and even to build up worn boat props. It should hold up (I hope).

Are the buttons still available? I'd like to replace the current plain jane with a Mack logo if it is still made.

The current style button does not match the older style no. It does match the type used on the "Valueliner" series of trucks with a dog in the center. It doesn't come close to fitment, or physical match.

Rob