Another With $$$ In Their Eyes:

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I'd seen the R model earlier in the week. Prolly should be a different paint scheme to make a sale based on condition but that is personal preference. It will definately make people remember the truck one way or another.

I like the IH. Nice restoration of a rare piece.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Looks like a bunch of this guys R's going to Africa or SA. Isnt the year wrong also? Nice drivers seat.

Rob , I dont tihink id ever go after another R with a 237 and a 5 speed. This truck looks like my last R nightmare.

I wouldn't hesitate to go after a 237 powered truck if that is what I wanted. You now have a better idea of what to look for in the future.

Rob

for a play toy,yes,for work no f----n,,dice,,lol.bob

I can only imagine the millions of tons of freight moved, (in this country alone) behind less than 250hp. Seems if we rescinded back to "traditional values" we'd be a lot better off.

A 237 is kinda like me. A little slower and sloppier with age.

Hopefully they leave a bigger spot behind than I do.

Rob

A 237 and a 5 speed is one of the best and most rugged combinations in my opinion. We ran a 72 R00 with 237 and 5 speed for years with a dump trailer always at 80,000lbs. Might not have been the fastest but slow and steady wins the race. I wouldnt think twice about putting one out to work.

I can only imagine the millions of tons of freight moved, (in this country alone) behind less than 250hp. Seems if we rescinded back to "traditional values" we'd be a lot better off.

A 237 is kinda like me. A little slower and sloppier with age.

Hopefully they leave a bigger spot behind than I do.

Rob

hehe,,ya good motor,i used to run one in the 80,s,there outdated now.but out here theres too many mountains,,then with dirt,,they expect you to pull 3 pups,,106 thousand,,,even on flat ground,,hit alittle headwind,and feels like the brakes are dragging.lol..guess you might say,,like a chev 283,or a ford 289..all good strong motors,,but we got allot faster stuff now.woohoo...lol...bob :thumb:

A 237 and a 5 speed is one of the best and most rugged combinations in my opinion. We ran a 72 R00 with 237 and 5 speed for years with a dump trailer always at 80,000lbs. Might not have been the fastest but slow and steady wins the race. I wouldnt think twice about putting one out to work.

I agree with you on that one. I was kinda fond of the 285 engines too.

Rob

I agree with you on that one. I was kinda fond of the 285 engines too.

Rob

you know,,a friend a mine ran a 285,along with my 237,,and he used to blow my doors off,,,i used to wish i could at least keep up with him,lol...bob

you know,,a friend a mine ran a 285,along with my 237,,and he used to blow my doors off,,,i used to wish i could at least keep up with him,lol...bob

That 285 was the basis for the early 350's and were easy to turn up for that amount of power. You did need to change the transmission however to take full advantage of it.

Rob

I fully agree! i ran my Grandfathers R-685 237/5 speed pulling 33/40,000 lbs apples,peaches routinely for years,backhauled empty glass bottles or cardboard boxes,not the fastest combo on the road,but like the Maxidyne237 says,slow and steady wins the race! prolly the most dependable combo,least problematic truck i ever drove,given a different set of circumstances,i'd run one today in a heartbeat,especially given the current price of fuel!.................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

I fully agree! i ran my Grandfathers R-685 237/5 speed pulling 33/40,000 lbs apples,peaches routinely for years,backhauled empty glass bottles or cardboard boxes,not the fastest combo on the road,but like the Maxidyne237 says,slow and steady wins the race! prolly the most dependable combo,least problematic truck i ever drove,given a different set of circumstances,i'd run one today in a heartbeat,especially given the current price of fuel!.................Mark

yep, that 300/5 speed F-model I drove never let me down, and I hauled over 50,000 lbs. regularly. I could go all the way up Christiansburg mountain in 4th. gear with 25 tons of fertilizer in a van. It was slow starting off, but once I got going it was left lane!

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

That 285 was the basis for the early 350's and were easy to turn up for that amount of power. You did need to change the transmission however to take full advantage of it.

Rob

ya,,,ive heard that before about the transmission,,had a 350 also,,now that was a runnin,mo fo,lol...bob :banana: