Nuther Small Setback:

Rob

And if it doesn't quite smell funny enough, there's always this-

an area where science and technology did not need to go.

Do you custom order, one, two, day or week old unbathen scent?

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Well here it is, Friday night. I figger I'm gonna order me a fresh reman RTO-14613 from either, Weller, or Adelman Truck Parts. Both parties will take a defunct RTO-12513 for $2750 exchange. A bit more money than I want to spend but I really need to have dependability out of this truck as it is to be my "pulling unit". I spoke with both parties today while driving to the show and both have ready built boxes on the shelf. Both are also available in Chicago where I'll be all next week at a training class.

If anybody has any further suggestions I'm "all ears". Next week I'll have a running truck with either my spare RTO-12513 that is a fresh reman, or a fresh reman RTO-14613 trans yet to be picked up. I've also been thinking of the 10 speed swap but have done nothing other than think on this. Those I speak with suggest staying with the 13 speed.

Rob

Rob,personally i'd stay with the 13 speed,been standard spec in every truck i've ever owned with one exception,i REALLY dont like 10 speeds! never did! ease of operation,dependability,smoothness of shifts, you just cant beat a 13!...............Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Rob,personally i'd stay with the 13 speed,been standard spec in every truck i've ever owned with one exception,i REALLY dont like 10 speeds! never did! ease of operation,dependability,smoothness of shifts, you just cant beat a 13!...............Mark

Yes Mark, I'm inclined the same way. This trans did shift very smooth. My uncle keeps telling me to go with a nine speed as that is all I really need. The truck he gave me several years ago and still sits in his pasture has a RT-12509 in it but I don't want to modify the driveline unless no other alternative.

May sound a bit rediculous but it's not a money thing with this truck. However, I'm not gonna roll wheelbarrows full toward it neither. Just want the dependability, and the included one year unlimited mileage warranty is a big draw for me. It has to be dependable and reliable before "Momma" will let me touch it cosmetically; really.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Killer ruint me, I personally prefer transmissions without air and o rings. I have nine speed in R-model, but dont much like it. Killer is easier to shift than that one,,,randyp

Yes Mark, I'm inclined the same way. This trans did shift very smooth. My uncle keeps telling me to go with a nine speed as that is all I really need. The truck he gave me several years ago and still sits in his pasture has a RT-12509 in it but I don't want to modify the driveline unless no other alternative.

May sound a bit rediculous but it's not a money thing with this truck. However, I'm not gonna roll wheelbarrows full toward it neither. Just want the dependability, and the included one year unlimited mileage warranty is a big draw for me. It has to be dependable and reliable before "Momma" will let me touch it cosmetically; really.

Rob

Another factor on what trans to use with a mack engine is if its a maxidyne or not. I would wish for a 13 myself but put one of them behind a real maxidyne and your going to be sick. My old Bmodel camper was a maxidyne in real live and i put a 10 speed in it and a aux behind it just for the o/d.Bid gas burn o/d. I in the end had to have the pump reset for a low torqe rise setting. Before after you down shifted from 10 to 9 gear under power at maybe 1700 there was nothen not even a hint of smoke or torque because they dont power up till 1200. After a talk with the pump shop he knew what i whated. Now its power at hi rpm but will not pull so good at low rpm.big trade off when your dealing with springs and weights but thats the way they work.If in your case the 13 speed was already there you want have a problem. Stay with the 13. I wish for a RTLO 16713 or a 12 mack with o/d.

glenn akers

Yeah, I've been driving a while and the only thing better than a 13 is the 18 speed, but, again, you won't need to split the low side so it's kind of redundant. You normally drive the 18 speed like the 13 speed anyway. I think the 13 or 18 speed is the transmission to have, but the one truck I drove with the RTO14613 was just junk- the transmission was junk that is, not the truck. It just had too much slack in the counter gears, even when brand new, but it might have been a lemon. Hell, it might have been assembled wrong at the factory for all I know.

H.H. had it at Truck Enterprises twice while I was driving it with transmission problems, then he traded it and the people that bought it to haul logs, also a local company, had to put a transmission in it soon after they bought it. They might be a fine transmission but that one experience turned me against them.

Good luck with it if that's what you decide to go with.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

The truck has the equivilent of an E6-315 and there is the possibility it has been built into a 350. It sure runs like it with no load on back. I've already lined up the 13 speed from Adelman's in Canton, OH. I'll strip this one back down and haul it over there for the core and then head to Freightrain's for a break driving. If I have a hair out of place on my ass, I'll jump back in the truck and drive home after only 1/2 hour or so. I was just getting decent at shifting the 13 speed when the trip to South Bend came up and everything with this trans went to hell. I'm still thankful I wasn't stupid enough, (my usual) to attempt the trip cause I really don't think I'd have made it.

I'll be at a training class all next week in Aurora, IL so won't be able to get the trans until the following week. All sits for now. I've got to clean up the shop tomorrow before I depart in the early evening. Class starts at 8:00 on Monday.

Rob

The truck has the equivilent of an E6-315 and there is the possibility it has been built into a 350. It sure runs like it with no load on back. I've already lined up the 13 speed from Adelman's in Canton, OH. I'll strip this one back down and haul it over there for the core and then head to Freightrain's for a break driving. If I have a hair out of place on my ass, I'll jump back in the truck and drive home after only 1/2 hour or so. I was just getting decent at shifting the 13 speed when the trip to South Bend came up and everything with this trans went to hell. I'm still thankful I wasn't stupid enough, (my usual) to attempt the trip cause I really don't think I'd have made it.

I'll be at a training class all next week in Aurora, IL so won't be able to get the trans until the following week. All sits for now. I've got to clean up the shop tomorrow before I depart in the early evening. Class starts at 8:00 on Monday.

Rob

You could just skip all that "how to drive a 13 speed" training. Here's what I would do... trust me, i'm a moron- you drove a 10 speed, you drove a pupwood truck with a 2 speed axle before, so just watch a few youtube videos, and if there's any questions just ax Freightrain- he's stayed at a Holiday Inn Express before. :rolleyes:

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.