64 Chevrolet

other dog

I saw this nice looking Chevrolet dump truck in Elyria this morning. The construction co. where I unloaded the pipes owned it.

The owner said he used to have a green 761 Brockway too that he sold, but he said he wished he still had it.

This was a former fire department truck, only 29,000 actual miles. He said they removed the tank it used to carry, shortened it and put the dump body on it and painted it, but they did no bodywork at all on it.

• Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Thats pretty nice. I wish the 2 we got on the farm looked that nice, ours got a little cancer

Yeah, most do when they're that old, but the man said it was parked inside at the firehouse the whole time it was a firetruck.

wow,,,that thing is gorgious,,what neat old truck,,there was a 64 ford similar setup for sale in the wheels of time last month,he wanted $4000 for it,,thought it was a little high,,,but i guess if its ready to work,,and doesnt need anything,,why not...bob

Other Dog,

Nice Truck, I had a 64 Chevy also, great work truck, had a 327 4 barrel and dual exhuast. no power anything, but ran good and loaded it to the max. it was a 1 ton and I used to haul stone from the quarry and the front end loader guy used to guess in my favor of how much stone he loaded up on that 64 chevy (think it was usually loaded to 13,000 on 10,000 GVW. It would ride on the helper springs, on the rear axle, and felt like power steering with no weight on the front wheels. Only problem was I didn't have a PTO or hydraulic lift to dump the load, so had to off load by hand, so had a good work out unloading. The truck lasted years after I sold it it was still working into the late 1990's.

Firemack

I like the Mack #400 Red paint job. Needs gangster walls all the way around, and spotlights.

Did he say what engine was in it?

mike

No Mike, he didn't say. I was gonna ask him if it had a 292 but I got distracted.

I always thought old fire trucks were a good bargain (for the old truck hobby) as most are low mileage,kept indoors,and can usually be bought for a good price when they become obsolete. My local VFD up in Jersey had a 52'or 53' Dodge pumper with a factory 392 Hemi engine in it,with a 5X2 trans. dual exaust,all the bells and whistles (literally) the guy who bought it ($1200.00) only wanted the engine,and junked the rest! might have had 20/21,000 miles on it in the early nineties,and not a nick,scratch,or dent in it!..............Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

I always thought old fire trucks were a good bargain (for the old truck hobby) as most are low mileage,kept indoors,and can usually be bought for a good price when they become obsolete. My local VFD up in Jersey had a 52'or 53' Dodge pumper with a factory 392 Hemi engine in it,with a 5X2 trans. dual exaust,all the bells and whistles (literally) the guy who bought it ($1200.00) only wanted the engine,and junked the rest! might have had 20/21,000 miles on it in the early nineties,and not a nick,scratch,or dent in it!..............Mark

oh my god,,thats a shame,,,gotta agree mark,,especialy those incredible prices.i never seem to be around when thier selling..bob

was lucky enough to get this guage out of a oakland ca.fire engine along with the tach,a steering wheel,and stop ,and throttle cables,,everthing is in excellant shape.bob