Need Different Rearend

bobanweve

I have a 1965 B-67 mack with a slow-mo rearend. I was hoping someone had a used one they could part with, that could get my truck to go near lightspeed.Maybe something with 4.17 gears. With these gears ,I could wipe the smile off Capt.Kirk's face. Thanks

I live near Kalamazoo,Michigan. My truck has an single axle,and I just bought the truck. I drove it to a friends garage to work on it.He lives abought 5 miles away,and all she would go is 55 mph. It has a 3+5 trans,but I don't know what ratio I have now.

Look on the drivers side of pig, about the middle, there should be some numbers stamped. Included in those number should be the ratio: 4.62 or 5.xx

My truck has 4.62 gears and runs 64 mpg with a 5x3. Make sure you actually pace the truck with something to comfirm your speed. My truck speedo reads about 8 slow of what it actually runs!

They make two 5x3's, a single over and double over. Mines' a single over.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Yup, that be a slo-mo-chine LOL!!

Sounds like you have a single overdrive Triplex. Look on drivers side of tranny for numbers. Should read like: TRT722. The double overs were TRT7220(as the "o" on the end means double over).

If I could come up with something like 4.10 air ride rear clip, I'd pass on my 4.62's. I've been wanting to convert but haven't found anything in my price range(cheap).

Larry

Just wanting to tell you...as a general rule the higher the gear number the stronger the gearset. Just to throw out a few numbers here for giggles the latest truck I bought which was the R Model has an 8LL with 5.73 ratio and will run 67. The dm 800 I have has a6 speed and will run almost 50...lol..it has 5.88 ratio. On the flip side my dm690 with the 7 speed and 7.58 ratio would run 62.

I got 11r22.5's on it.

With GPS and on the gov' it ran 65 mph. I usually with trailer run 1900 or so and it runs about 60 mph(so says buddy who usually follows me to/from racetrack with his pickup and trailer).

Larry

What, me worry? a few years ago I had the rear in my B changed from a 5:62 to a 4:??, and picked up about 8 mph to 68. The dealer did not want to install the "new" rear saying the gears were pitted. they were, some holes the size of a pencil eraser. But, been fine since- 10,000 miles- even one 600 mile day. No weight on the truck, flat bed with total truck weight of 13,800. getting ready to drive it 800 miles to Colorado Springs in June. Any way, any thing to check? I've thought of putting a thermal couple on it to see if it gets hot, but I don't know what the failure mode is.

Thanks. Maybe my wife will hang under it and listen for the whine- I can't hear a thing in the cab. Really, I appreciate the comments, the fact that the gear face was so big it could have a pit and still have all that metal around it was reassuring. Must be getting old, when I drove a B for a living i never thought about breaking down, and never did