B Model Door Hinge Repair

Any one have any experience repairing worn door hinges? I'm thinking of using Chevy truck bushings and pin as suggested in a recent reprinted article in Auto Restorer.

Bill

Mansfield ohio

I don't think there would be enough parent material remaining in the hinge to support the door properly after they are drilled to insert the bronze bushing. It is a good idea but the area the hinge pins run through is too thin to enlarge much and retain the necessary strength to support the weight of the door while it swings.

The practice I've used several times is to remove the hinges from the truck, jig them up straight in a drill press, and bore/ream the holes just large enough to be round. I then take a section of water hardening drill rod (W1 grade) about .010 undersize and cut to length plus about 3/8th inch to form the head needed times the amount of hinge pins needed, then warm these pins with a neutral flame using a torch. A temperature crayon is very useful for bringing the part to between 1300-1400 degrees farehient temperature. These parts are then plunged into clean water that is about 120 degrees and "swished around" for 10 seconds. Then place the pins on a cookie sheet in the kitchen oven, (get your wife's or significant other's permission first) at 350 degrees for about and hour, take them ou,t and let them cool. The pins will be very hard and durable and will never give you a problem again.

You could also skip the hardening process and just press fit a slightly oversize bronze bushing into the now round holes and drill a greasing hole into the hinge pivot area and through the bronze bushing. Using a small grease gun, (such as for electric tools) will yield excellent service life of the part also if kept lubricated.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Bill,

Ya might want to bake your cornbread or biscits while using this method since ya have the stove on and don't forget your apron and mitten. Ahhh.....that is if your significant other is in a delightful mood. :)

Better yet...lets just get into tha truck and head over to Robs house since he has the heat on. :thumb:

Saves on firing up the oven.

mike :blink:

I don't think there would be enough parent material remaining in the hinge to support the door properly after they are drilled to insert the bronze bushing. It is a good idea but the area the hinge pins run through is too thin to enlarge much and retain the necessary strength to support the weight of the door while it swings.

The practice I've used several times is to remove the hinges from the truck, jig them up straight in a drill press, and bore/ream the holes just large enough to be round. I then take a section of water hardening drill rod (W1 grade) about .010 undersize and cut to length plus about 3/8th inch to form the head needed times the amount of hinge pins needed, then warm these pins with a neutral flame using a torch. A temperature crayon is very useful for bringing the part to between 1300-1400 degrees farehient temperature. These parts are then plunged into clean water that is about 120 degrees and "swished around" for 10 seconds. Then place the pins on a cookie sheet in the kitchen oven, (get your wife's or significant other's permission first) at 350 degrees for about and hour, take them ou,t and let them cool. The pins will be very hard and durable and will never give you a problem again.

You could also skip the hardening process and just press fit a slightly oversize bronze bushing into the now round holes and drill a greasing hole into the hinge pivot area and through the bronze bushing. Using a small grease gun, (such as for electric tools) will yield excellent service life of the part also if kept lubricated.

Rob

if this is any help,,home depot has a good selection of brass bushings,ive got allott of them there for differant projects,and if thier not quite right,can sand them slightly,till they fit,also,was wodering if you can put the right side door hinges on the left,like i do with the later R model doors,,the rights are always nice and tight,lol.good luck..bob

if this is any help,,home depot has a good selection of brass bushings,ive got allott of them there for differant projects,and if thier not quite right,can sand them slightly,till they fit,also,was wodering if you can put the right side door hinges on the left,like i do with the later R model doors,,the rights are always nice and tight,lol.good luck..bob

You need to use either "oilite" bronze, or SAE 660 bushing material in this application as they are oil impregnated during the manufacturing process. If standard brass is used, the lifespan is short if the pin turns with the pivot of the door. Of course it is this pivotal arc that wears the hinge in the first place.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Rob since you are on the subject......I have not taken the door hinges off mine yet, but will need to. Mine has some play also but what I need to ask is, did these doors close flush with the rest of the body and have a good fit? Seems the weatherstriping were causing my doors to look open a small amount.

thanks

mike

You need to use either "oilite" bronze, or SAE 660 bushing material in this application as they are oil impregnated during the manufacturing process. If standard brass is used, the lifespan is short if the pin turns with the pivot of the door. Of course it is this pivotal arc that wears the hinge in the first place.

Rob

oh,ok,well it almost seems profitable to find a used bench lathe,and then one could redo everbody,s hinges,woohoo,iwas thinging about making one for stuff like that,,sounds fun....bob

Rob since you are on the subject......I have not taken the door hinges off mine yet, but will need to. Mine has some play also but what I need to ask is, did these doors close flush with the rest of the body and have a good fit? Seems the weatherstriping were causing my doors to look open a small amount.

thanks

mike

I've never seen B model series trucks with doors that fit flush in the jambs unless the door edges unless customized. All of my trucks do not set flush but most are close.

Rob

I've never seen B model series trucks with doors that fit flush in the jambs unless the door edges unless customized. All of my trucks do not set flush but most are close.

Rob

I'll have to get back with ya on that measurement. Seems like it was about three eigths of an inch.

mike