Aset Exhaust Studs

Hey all, I developed an exhaust leak yesterday so I got to come home early and start working on the truck, not what I wanted to do. Anyway got it apart, manifold off to find 2 broken studs in the heads. They are broke just below the surface and I have fought them nearly all day trying to drill through stainless steel with no luck. I am tempted to try welding a nut with my wire welder but wasn't sure if it would stick to the stainless. I've read on here that this is a problem with the aset engines and I was wondering if anyone had any miracles or am I s#*t out of luck! There is tons of expertise on this site so maybe someone can give me some advice. Thanks, Trey.

Hi,I've removed quite a few of these myself. I use good carbide drill bits. I center punch the broken stud and start with a 1/8" bit drilling completely thru the stud. Then I use a 1/4" bit, again going all the way thru the stud.Lots of penetrating oil and an easy out and they will come out. Be patient and carefully get the hole centered and drill straight. Good luck,Steve

Thanks Steve. I started out doing what you suggested and got about 1/2" into the first one before the progress stopped. I was going slow and quite a bit of pressure and plenty of oil but evidently not good enough. I probably should've got some cutting oil as I was just using motor oil. I googled drilling through stainless steel and found out if you get just a little too much heat the stainless hardens and you get nowhere which I guess is my problem. Just not sure where to turn now. Maybe try drilling some more but I thought about welding a nut to it but my problem is I only have a wire welder set up to weld steel and wasn't sure if I could get it to stick to the stainless. I was wondering if someone else has tried this or if I'm going to have to get set up for the stainless.

Well, got the studs out yesterday! Finally figured there wasn't anything to lose by trying to weld a nut to it. First try they didn't stick so I turned up the heat and tried again and both came right out. My wire welder isn't set up for stainless and wasn't sure it would stick but if anyone else has this problem down the road, this worked out for me.

Yeah I was stressing over the idea of pulling the heads! I thought that's my luck, just simple exhaust gaskets and end up with the heads off!

Shortstack,

Yea I believe we all were stressing alittle for ya. Would it be too much trouble to take a picture of the welded bolts you took out so we can tell how close to the heads you had to weld and how much weld you used for them to hold onto the bolts?

Thx

mike

Just getting around to getting some pics on here. I took more than one picture but the computer took so long to download I just put one on. Have to figure that out later. Anyway you can see the broken stud in the bottom of the pic, the two nuts that didn't stick the first time are on the left and the ones that worked are on the right. Hope everyone had a happy Father's Day! Trey

post-2719-0-47294900-1308534224_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Just getting around to getting some pics on here. I took more than one picture but the computer took so long to download I just put one on. Have to figure that out later. Anyway you can see the broken stud in the bottom of the pic, the two nuts that didn't stick the first time are on the left and the ones that worked are on the right. Hope everyone had a happy Father's Day! Trey

a plus rep in my book

Yea Shortstack, thanks for showing. A picture is worth a thousand words. With my luck the heads would have had to be pulled.

mike

right there,with ya,,man,,geeees what a nice neat job,it doesnt look possible to come out so nice,,,bob